From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC President Talbert urges peace after Ireland visit

From George Gundrey <ggundrey@igc.apc.org>
Date Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:34:14 -0800 (PST)

National Council of Churches, USA
December 5, 1995
Contact Mike Maus at 212 555-1212

NCC'S INCOMING PRESIDENT TALBERT, BACK FROM IRELAND,
URGES CHURCHES TO CONTINUE TO "TAKE RISKS FOR PEACE"

 NEW YORK, Dec. 5 ---- National Council of Churches incoming President
Melvin G. Talbert, just back from Ireland, praised the role of Irish
religious leaders in pressing their political leaders for peace and urged
U.S. churches to continue "to take risks for peace."

 Bishop Talbert, Resident Bishop of the San Francisco Area, United
Methodist Church, was one of six U.S. religious leaders who went to Ireland
with President Clinton Nov. 30-Dec. 2.  The six Americans met with
Protestant and Catholic church leaders on several occasions, including an
informal meal together in Armagh, Northern Ireland.  There, Bishop Talbert
offered comments on the significance of the visit "at this time of year
when Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus, the Prince of Peace."

 That "this is simply the beginning of a process and not the end" was
highlighted at another event, an official reception at which leaders of
various political groups were present.  There, an Irish church leader
confided to a U.S. counterpart that he could not shake Sinn Fein leader
Jerry Adams' hand "because Adams has too much blood on his hands."

 "Deep cleavages were there," Bishop Talbert commented afterward, "but even
so, we were all together in the same room.  We celebrate the fact that we
have been part of the process thus far, and we continue to pray for the
process of peace.  U.S.  churches need to stay in touch with our colleague
churches and be open to respond in whatever way we can."

 Bishop Talbert said he felt a deep enthusiasm for the peace initiative.
Many ordinary people reached out to shake his hand and say, "Pray for us,
Father."  Over and over again, he heard the message that "the road to peace
was going to be tough but this was a very important beginning."

 Bishop Talbert, of Sacramento, Calif., is the NCC's President for
1996-1997.  He represented the National Council of Churches in the
40-person contingent of "Presidential Guests," who, he noted, paid their
own expenses.  Other religious leaders were the Most Rev. Daniel P. Reilly,
Chair, International Policy Committee, National Conference of Catholic
Bishops; the Rev. Duncan Hansen, Coordinator, Ecumenical Relations and
Mission in Europe, Presbyterian Church U.S.A.; the Rev. Thom White Wolf
Fassett, General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society, United
Methodist Church; Canon Brian J. Grieves, Episcopal Church (representing
Bishop Edmond Browning), and the Rev.  Dr. Henry J. Postel of Darnstown,
Md., Chair, Northern Ireland Working Group, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

90NCC12/5/95

   -end-
   -0-