From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Nazarine Weekly News Summary Jan 5 1996

From Nazarene News Group Naz News <NAZNEWS@nazarene.org>
Date Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:35:05 -0800 (PST)

Date:     Fri, 05 Jan 1996 15:29:48 -0600

Weekly Summary for the week ending January 5, 1996 (WS9601)
Prepared by the Nazarene News Service of the Church of the Nazarene
Communications Division, 6401 The Paseo, Kansas City, MO 64131
Interim Editor:  Tom Felder

The following information may be used in newsletters and bulletins.
For more information or to report stories contact the Nazarene News
Service--voice: (816) 333-7000, ext 2303; FAX:(816) 333-1748; Internet:
naznews@nazarene.org.

We welcome your comments and suggestions.

Kidnapped Nazarene Missionary Rescued

Nazarene missionary Don Cox says he was frightened, but he knew
others were praying for him. The 51-year-old missionary was rescued
from kidnappers early Christmas Eve, according to Jack Stone, general
secretary. Stone said Cox was rescued by SWAT units of the
Ecuadorian police from a jungle area outside Quito. The police reportedly
apprehended or killed all of the kidnappers in the rescue effort. Cox was
not injured.

Cox had been abducted from the Nazarene seminary in Quito on Sunday
afternoon, Dec. 10. His abductors demanded a ransom of $500,000,
which was not paid.

The Church of the Nazarene worked closely with Ecuadorian police, the
U.S. government, the U.S. Embassy, and a Christian organization which
has consulted with other mission organizations affected by kidnappings.
Cox is believed to be the first American missionary to have been
kidnapped in Ecuador.

Cox said he was held on an elevated platform in the rain forest outside
Quito. He said his captors were friendly, but he was still concerned. "I
was scared to death because of the uncertainty of the situation," said
Cox. "Each night I prayed, `Now I lay me down to sleep...' believing that
it might be my last. I was prepared to meet Jesus, but I was concerned
about the separation from my family and my work that was unfinished."

Cox was flown to Chicago on Christmas Day where he was reunited
with his wife, Cheryl, and sons, Paul, Matthew, Michael, and Phillip.

"We are grateful to God and to those who gave of their time and talents
to gain the release of Rev. Cox," said Donald D. Owens, chairman of the
Board of General Superintendents. "This was quite a Christmas present
for Rev. Cox and his family, as well as for all of us in the Nazarene
family around the world."

"I want to express my extreme thanks for the prayers and faith of
Nazarenes around the world," said Cox. "Under the circumstances, my
faith and prayers seemed limited, but I knew others were praying."

Cox is the first missionary of the Church of the Nazarene to be
kidnapped. He and his wife have been missionaries for the denomination
since 1975.

Felder Named Interim News Editor

Tom Felder has been appointed interim editor of the Nazarene News
Service, according to Michael R. Estep, Communications Division director.
 Felder began his assignment Jan. 2.  He will continue to serve as
general VBS editor.

Felder has served in the VBS office since April 1994.  Prior to this he
was associate editor for the Nazarene News Service from 1989 to 1994.

"Tom has a strong background of news and editorial experience," Estep
said.  "Under his leadership, Nazarene News Service will continue to
provide news and information to the church as the search continues for
a news editor."

Mark Graham completed his service as Nazarene News editor Dec. 31.
He had served in that capacity for the past 12 years.  He continues to
serve as managing editor of the Herald of Holiness.

For more information, contact Tom Felder <naznews@nazarene.org>