From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC JOINS IN SPEAKING OUT AGAINST LEGALIZED GAMBLING

From National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Date 17 Jan 1996 16:24:24

Contact: Carol J. Fouke, New York, 1-212-870-2252
Internet: carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 17 ---- The National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the U.S.A. (NCC) joined others, including the Christian
Coalition, at a news conference today to speak out against legalized
gambling.

The news conference was sponsored by the National Coalition Against
Legalizing Gambling.  The NCC's statement, delivered by Mary Anderson
Cooper, Associate Director of the Council's Washington Office, follows:

NCC STATEMENT ON LEGALIZED GAMBLING

Over 40 years ago, the General Board of the National Council of Churches
said:

 ...the so-called "innocent" forms of gambling -- such as legalized
race-track wagers, betting on athletic events, lotteries, bingo and the
like -- contribute to the weakening of the moral fiber of the individual
and lower the moral tone of the community.

Our position has not changed in the intervening years.  It is our view that
gambling in any form contributes nothing positive to society.  It offers no
service, creates nothing of value, and does not improve the lives of those
who participate.

We are aware of the arguments made by proponents that legalized gambling
creates jobs. We also know there is countervailing evidence that even where
jobs are created in the gambling industry, more jobs are lost elsewhere in
the community as business is lured away from other restaurants and places
of entertainment.  It is our position that job creation is desperately
needed, but that the jobs created should be ones that serve the needs of
society and contribute to the well-being of workers and their families.

We are also concerned about the negative impacts we believe gambling is
having on communities, such as increased crime and the cost of trying to
contain it, the disruption of family life, and the desperate actions of
some people whose gambling debts put their lives and futures in jeopardy.

Because there is much conflicting evidence about the impact of gambling on
all sides of the issue, we have endorsed legislation -- H.R. 497 in the
House and S. 704 in the Senate -- which would create a national commission
for the purpose of making an objective factual and legal analysis of the
impact of gambling In the United States.  Instead of being moved by the
arguments of vested interests, Congress and the public need to make
decisions about the issue of gambling on the basis of objective
information.

We urge Congress to establish this commission promptly, and we encourage
state governments not to allow the expansion of gambling activities until
the commissions findings are published, so that future decisions can be
based on objective information.

-end-