From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ECUMENICAL OBSERVER TEAM STATEMENT ON THE PALESTINIAN ELECTIONS

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 23 Jan 1996 12:39:51

ELECTIONS
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 96 13:30:25 EST

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Carol J. Fouke, 212-870-2252
Internet: carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

9NCC1/23/96                  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Statement by the
International Ecumenical Election Observers
on the Palestinian Elections
Jerusalem, 23 January 1996

We, the 19 representatives of the World Council of
Churches, the National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the USA, the Church of Sweden Mission, and
Maryknoll, the Catholic Foreign Missions Society,
were privileged to serve on behalf of the
international ecumenical community as observers of
the Palestinian elections at an historic moment in
the life of the Palestinian people.  We ecumenical
observers came from Catholic, Orthodox and
Protestant churches in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin
America and North America.

Our presence here was encouraged by the Christian
leadership in Jerusalem and was facilitated by the
Middle East Council of Churches.  We were accredited
as international election observers by the Central
Election Commission of the Palestinian Authority,
and our work was coordinated by the European Union
Electoral Unit.  We are here as brothers and sisters
in Christ with the local Christian community, in
support of the people of Palestine, as they begin a
new stage in the process of establishing democratic
national institutions in their homeland.

We believe that God created the world in freedom,
and bestowed freedom upon human beings, who are
created in God's image and likeness.  We believe
God's suffering love and forgiveness are disclosed
in the crucifixion of Christ.  They free and
motivate us to work for justice and the common good.
The ability of people to choose freely their leaders
is one of the fundamental expressions of human
freedom.

On 20 January 1996 the people of Palestine, in
accordance with the provisions of the Israeli-
Palestinian Interim Agreement of September, 1995
(Oslo II), exercised their freedom to choose their
own leadership in democratic elections.  As election
observers, we came away with a sense of the purpose
and of the commitment of the Palestinian people to
the election of democratically accountable
representatives.

We are aware of the ambiguity of the context within
which the elections were held.  Most of the West
Bank still remains under varying degrees of Israeli
control, and Israel continues to claim sole
sovereignty over Jerusalem and exercises exclusive
authority over it.  The Palestinians constitute one
people, including both those resident in their
homeland and the refugees dispersed abroad and
prevented from returning, yet only those resident in
the Palestinian territory were permitted to
participate in the elections.  Palestinian prisoners
continue to be held in Israeli prisons, in violation
of the Oslo II Agreement.  Moreover, there is
concern in the Palestinian community over whether or
not the peace process, of which the elections are a
part, will result in the creation of a sovereign and
independent state.  Much more will be needed in the
future to continue the process given impetus on
election day, as permanent status negotiations begin
on refugees; Israeli settlements in the West Bank
and Gaza; security and borders; prisoners; and
Jerusalem.

Although absolutely necessary for the establishment
of democratic national institutions, the mechanism
of elections alone, how ever well conducted, cannot
ensure justice, peace and respect for human freedom
and dignity.  Palestinian leaders will need to be
vigilant in safeguarding an independent judiciary
and the freedoms of opinion; expression and
information; assembly; and association.

The Palestinian territories were divided into four
observation districts, identified by their
headquarters: Gaza, Bethlehem (southern West Bank),
Jericho (central West Bank), and Nablus (northern
West Bank).  We were assigned to teams observing
polling stations in each district.  We make the
following comments based upon our observations.

For the greater part, we saw competent management of
the election process, including opening of the
polls, conduct of the elections, and counting of the
votes,  Even more important than the proper
management of the technical aspects of the election
was the spirit of the people who participated in the
election and their commitment to continuing the
national dialogue.  In many places the election was
a community event that expressed seriousness and
pride in the process of voting.  We observed no
violence, overt intimidation or coercion.

We saw the participation of large numbers of youth
and women in the election as voters.  The presence
of women in leadership roles on the polling station
committees reflects the changing perceptions of the
role of women in Palestinian society.  However, the
fact that there were only 28 women among the 700
candidates shows that greater effort must be made to
establish the broadest possible pool of candidates
and encourage women to enter public service.

We observed the following:  The secrecy of the
balloting was difficult to maintain at times in some
polling stations. The voter registration lists were
revised late in the process and it was reported that
the names of some registrants were lost.  Despite
efforts by the Palestinian Authority, voter
education and information was not disseminated well
enough in advance to prepare all voters.  The
locations of polling stations were sometimes
difficult to reach.  This was especially the case
for the people from Jerusalem, most of whom were
required to vote outside the municipal boundaries
and at considerable distance from their places of
residence and employment.  These circumstances
reduced the number of voters who were able to vote
in the elections.  Check-points on West Bank roads
set up by the Israeli Defense Forces impeded the
travel of voters to polling stations.

Although we observed deficiencies in the election
process, we recognize the results as an accurate
expression of the voters.  The high proportion of
registered voters who cast ballots despite the
difficulties and obstacles is a further indication
of their commitment to self-governance.  This
election constituted a significant preparatory step
toward the realization of the legitimate rights of
the Palestinian people.  Our experience as
ecumenical election observers renews our commitment
to the Palestinian people in their quest for a just
peace.  We call on the churches to continue and
strengthen their support for all people in this
conflict who have taken risks for peace.

World Council of Churches:  Rev. Dr. Dass Babu,
Church of South India; Ms. Terezinha J. M. DaSilva;
Ms. Salpy Eskidjian, Armenian Apostolic Orthodox
Church; Mr. Alistair Rhodes Fray; Ms. Maria Espina
Gonzalez; Ms. Lawrencia Kwark, Roman Catholic; Fr.
Serge Molla, Evangelical Reformed Church in
Switzerland; Mr. Tawanda Mutasah, Seventh Day
Adventist.

National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA:
Rev. Mark Brown, Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America;  Dr. Deborah Gerner; Ms. Mary Teresa
Rogers, Episcopal Peace Fellowship; Dr. Philip
Schrodt; Ms. Nancy Stallings, Church of the
Brethren; Ms. Maelinda Turner, United Church of
Christ; Mr. David Weaver,  Middle East
Office/NCCCUSA.

Maryknoll, The Catholic Foreign Mission Society of
America: Br. David Berceli; Mr. Terence Miller,
Maryknoll Justice and Peace Office.

Church of Sweden Mission:  Rev. Berth Dimenas; Rev.
Kjell Jonasson.

-end-
-0-