From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GAC Reelects Brown as Executive Director

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 04 May 1996 15:25:06

29-Feb-96

96089        GAC Reelects Brown as Executive Director

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--After almost three hours of executive session, the General
Assembly Council voted 46-16 to reelect the Rev. James D. Brown to a second
four-year term as the Council's executive director.

     "The Council is enthusiastic, ready to move ahead," the Rev. D.
William McIvor told the Presbyterian News Service after the Feb. 21-25
meeting at The Seelbach Hotel.  McIvor described the 75 percent yes vote as
"very positive, given the difficult times the Council and Jim have been
through these past three and a half years."

     Brown concurred with that analysis and described his end-of-term
review as a "helpful time to reflect about a very turbulent time in our
denominational life."

     Brown said he sees his task during the next four years as fourfold:

        strengthening relationships among Council members, particularly
since a new class has just begun

       spending more time in face-to-face gatherings with staff

       bolstering partnerships and connections in the wider church,
particularly with middle governing bodies

       helping the church as a whole "find its center and its common
future."

     "Having led during the time which I led, a strong encouragement came
out of such a [Council] vote: three-fourths of the Council," said Brown,
reflecting on the Feb. 24 ballot.  The other quarter, he said, "serves as a
reminder of the enormous hopes and expectations" in the Council and in the
church, and reminds him of the "nature of the challenge" ahead.

     Of the Council's work, Brown said it is "making good headway.  ...
That flies in the face of a lot of the critique going on."

     In his regular report to the Council Brown acknowledged, "These are
not easy times.  In this regard, I was recently struck by a scene from the
third chapter of Joshua when the officers of the Israelites went through
the camp and commanded the people, 'When you see the ark of the covenant of
the Lord your God being carried by the levitical priests, then you shall
set out from your place.  Follow it, so that you may know the way you
should go, for you have not passed this way before.'

     "We are at such a moment in the history of our beloved denomination, a
moment that drives us to our knees in prayer as we seek to be steadfast and
faithful to the gospel that has as its core faith, hope and love,
remembering always that the greatest of these is the love of God made known
to us in Jesus Christ."

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073