From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jean Love Named APCE Educator of the Year

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 04 May 1996 15:25:09

15-Feb-96

96064       Jean Love Named APCE Educator of the Year

                         by Julian Shipp

CHICAGO--Lauded by her peers as a dedicated professional and an
"organizer's organizer," Texas native Jean Floyd Love was honored Feb. 9 as
the Association of Presbyterian Church Educators (APCE) Educator of the
Year.

     "I've always believed children need roots and wings to fly," Love said
during her acceptance speech. "Every one of us needs someone who encourages
them in that way and for me it was my parents."

     Born in Longview, Texas, Love graduated from Texas Christian
University with a B.S. in home economics and worked briefly as a research
home economist at Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Co. in North Canton, Ohio.

     Deciding that home economics was not her "calling," Love entered
Presbyterian School of Christian Education in 1961 and received her M.C.Ed.
in 1963. She accepted a call to Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church in
Houston, Texas, and remained there until 1965, when she became director of
Christian education (DCE) at First Presbyterian Church in Denton, Texas.

     After leaving First Presbyterian Church, Love served two years as
college admissions and church relations officer for Arkansas College, and
in 1970 she became director of Christian education at Ridglea Baptist
Theological Seminary, where she graduated with an Ed.D. in early childhood
education in 1977.

     Love was called to Covenant Presbyterian Church in Charlotte, N.C.,
and later went to her current position as director of Christian education
at Myers Park Presbyterian Church, also in Charlotte.

     In addition to her work as DCE at Myers Park, Love is adjunct
professor of Christian education at Pfeiffer College, Charlotte campus. As
part of her present ministry, Love has developed an interim program for
college students in which they work for a year in the field of Christian
education.

     An accomplished author, Love has written curriculum for CE:SA and
articles for "Alert" and "Southwestern Baptist Bulletin." She is also
co-author of "Get Ready, Get Set, Worship!" which was published in 1991.

     Love has served her denomination in many capacities and jokingly said
her roots run deep in "Presbyterian soil and Texas dirt."

     Love has led workshops and leadership events in local churches,
presbyteries and at Montreat.  In Mecklenburg (now Charlotte) Presbytery,
Love has served as chair of the Christian Education Committee and on the
Presbytery Council. She has also served as education vacancy consultant and
certified adviser.

     "I'm grateful for the teachers who nourished my roots of
understanding," Love said, "and for mentors who encouraged me and
challenged me to keep on keeping on."

     Love also credited her husband, Walter E. (Buddy) Love, whom she
married in 1981, for her continued success. And she attributed her passions
for photography, cross-stitching, travel and beach-combing the North
Carolina shores to her frequent childhood request:  "Give me something to
do, Mom."

     During the progam, several other award recipients were recognized.
Honored with the APCE Life Achievement Award were Eloise Van Heest and Sara
Covin Juengst. The Val Murphy Scholarship Award recipients were Lillie M.
Green and Helen Parr.

     Judy Ferguson, 1996-97 APCE president, said 22 educators have been
certified since last year's APCE event, held in Atlanta.

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073