From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pittsburgh Presbytery Responds to Racism And Sexism

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 04 May 1996 16:06:14

10-Apr-96

96128  Pittsburgh Presbytery Responds to Racism And Sexism
          Charges, But Fails to Satisfy Its Black Caucus

                         by Julian Shipp

PITTSBURGH, Pa.--Stung by allegations from its Black Caucus last December,
the General Council of Pittsburgh Presbytery has responded to charges that
some of its actions have been "racist and sexist" toward ministries among
the poor and African American communities throughout the city. However, the
Council's response failed to satisfy the Black Caucus.

     The Rev. Johnnie Monroe, chair of Pittsburgh Presbytery's Black Clergy
Committee, said he and other Black Caucus representatives met with the Rev.
Beverly W. James, Pittsburgh Presbytery moderator, on March 11 because they
were "unsatisfied" with the Council's response to their allegations.

     "We told [moderator James] the council's response was not
satisfactory," Monroe told the Presbyterian News Service. "Really, we felt
the response was more racist than the original actions. The response just
didn't get it."

     After a walk-out on Dec. 7 by approximately 30 Black Caucus members
during a regularly scheduled presbytery meeting, a "40-day Season of Prayer
and Fasting" was declared by the caucus through Jan. 15. During that time,
the Pittsburgh Black Caucus and African American pastors called upon their
membership to not attend any gatherings or meetings of the presbytery.

     "Until we decide that we have a single mission that is understood by
the entire presbytery and something we can work directly towards, we won't
be satisfied," said the Rev. Samuel W. George, Black Caucus moderator. "Our
intention is not something against the presbytery per se, but it is against
the fact that some progress that we believe could have been made in this
presbytery has just been sat down on."

     James said Black Caucus leaders informed her that they want Pittsburgh
Presbytery to prioritize the Presbyterian Urban Ministry Partnership (PUMP)
which the presbytery adopted on Sept. 14, 1995.  Among other things, PUMP
calls for and commits the presbytery to address problems in the inner city
and encourage partnerships with urban congregations.

     She said the Black Caucus also wants Pittsburgh Presbytery to
intensively seek representation on all committees by African Americans and
other minority groups and that recruitment of a wider group of racial
ethnic elders and pastors is also desirable.

     "Pittsburgh Presbytery considers itself an affirmative action and
equal opportunity employer, but there should be some evidence that these
polices are actively pursued and that those policies be made public," James
said.

     James said Black Caucus leaders also told her that general policies
regarding church loans should be applied fairly and should be common
knowledge among elders and minsters in all congregations.

     In the meantime, Monroe said, the Black Caucus has decided that it
needs to take the initiative in addressing the urban community's  problems.

     "We have decided that we are not going to expend a lot of energies
reacting to the presbytery," Monroe said. "We have pulled ourselves
together and we are doing some things among ourselves as African American
churches to address unity among us and the problems that we find among our
communities."

     For example, Monroe said, a special "unity service" designed to
demonstrate community love and solidarity was held on March 31 (Palm
Sunday) at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. He said the congregations of
every black church in the presbytery except one participated in the
service.

     According to Monroe, recent actions by the presbytery have not been
supportive of women and children, as well as racial ethnic minorities. He
said mission programs have been cut in the name of financial conservatism
while institutional self-support has become the presbytery's central focus.

     Specific actions cited by the Black Caucus include:

          the firing of seven female employees (four of whom are African
American) to save
          $65,000 next year. These women were given less than three month's
notice of
          termination. Yet, according to the Black Caucus, the presbytery
approved a much more
          costly severance package last year for its former executive
presbyter, who was offered
          nearly a year to find other employment.

          the cutting of mission funds during the middle of the fiscal
year, damaging the
          presbytery's assistance efforts toward the most needy segments of
society including
          services to the elderly, poor children, feeding programs and help
for the homeless.

          the closing of poor churches in African-American
communities--Melrose Church (now
          Pleasant Valley Shelter) and Blackadore Church (after a promise
to build a new church
          which never materialized)--and cutting mission funding at
Hazelwood Church. The
          trustees and presbytery also refused to lend the financially
self-supporting Grace
          Memorial Presbyterian Church $150,000 for needed repairs to make
its building
          handicapped accessible. (These actions reportedly were taken to
save funds). According
          to the Black Caucus, however, the presbytery granted more money
to congregations in
          predominantly white communities than it was willing to lend Grace
Church.

      James, who is also interim pastor at Highland Presbyterian Church in
Pittsburgh, said the council met on Jan. 24 to discuss the allegations and
recognized that the termination of  the seven women, (six administrative
assistants and one printer), was and is an action that can be perceived as
"racist and sexist."

     Furthermore, she said, the council recognized that inadequate
communication between all council members and the presbytery regarding the
history of why such action was considered, combined with the present
reasons for taking such action, intensified negative perceptions of the
presbytery by Black Caucus members.

     In reference to the status of the seven vacant positions at the