From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TOP PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OFFICIAL CONDEMNS VIOLENCE IN ISRAEL

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 04 May 1996 16:07:51

8-Mar-96

TOP PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OFFICIAL CONDEMNS VIOLENCE IN ISRAEL

                   by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, KY--The Rev. James E. Andrews, stated clerk of the General
Assembly of the 2.7-million member Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) issued a
statement March 8 expressing the church's sadness over the terror bombings
in Israel and condemning such acts.  The full text of Andrews' statement:

    "The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is deeply saddened by the recent
bombings in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Ashkelon, and is gravely alarmed by the
potential of accelerated cycles of violence and punitive reactions.

    "The Church expresses its genuine condolences to the families, friends
and neighbors of victims - both Israelis and Palestinians -- killed or
injured in the attacks.  No words can soothe the grief or sorrow of
survivors of such human tragedies.  We share their pain, and pray for
solace and comfort.

    "It also strongly condemns all acts of terror, including violent
attacks, on civilians, and fears that such activities can only result in
the derailment of the peace process, which appears to be the objective
sought by a minority of extremists in different camps.

       - We call on the media to help audiences understand that in wake of
   violent tragedies such as the world has witnessed recently in these
   bombings, there were numerous Israeli victims, but there were also
   Palestinian victims in the same bombings, and that, just as the Israelis
   mourn the loss of their beloved, so too do Palestinian families grieve
   for the loss of their loved ones.

       -  We join with other Christian churches, and with communities of
   other faiths, both in this country and abroad, who are committed to
   peace, justice and reconciliation, in praying for and working toward an
   end to the cycles of violence and the building of peaceful relations
   between Israeli and Palestinian neighbors.

       - We urge our own constituent members to engage in prayer, and to
   support all efforts aimed at achieving peace in the Middle East.

       - We commend government leaders, and those in positions of
   influence, in Israel, the Palestinian National Authority and the United
   States of America, who continue to be committed to the peace process.

       - We wish to communicate to our partner churches,  ecumenical bodies
   and the Christian community at large in the Middle East, our continued
   solidarity in their struggle to be a faithful witness to the love of
   Christ and God's peaceful reign, in the midst of suffering and
   conflict."

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073