From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org
First Presbyterian Church of Dallas Celebrates 140 Years
04 May 1996 20:30:25
96033 First Presbyterian Church of Dallas Celebrates 140 Years
by Jerry L. Van Marter
DALLAS--First Presbyterian Church of Dallas, which was organized one day
after Dallas was incorporated as a city in 1856, will hold a gala 140th
anniversary celebration Feb. 4.
All three living pastors who have served as head of staff at the
downtown church will lead worship. They are the Rev. John F. Anderson Jr.,
the Rev. Thomas A. Fry Jr. and current pastor the Rev. William J. Carl
The celebration will also include dedication of the Jackie and Mark
Click Memorial Hall of History, a state-of-the-art exhibit of the church's
history in the heart of downtown Dallas.
During that storied history, First Church has planted numerous other
Presbyterian churches in the city; provided health, education and welfare
programs for the poor; fought for racial integration; established emergency
feeding and housing ministries; and managed all kinds of counseling
programs, from employment to drug abuse.
For more information contact Presbyterian News Service
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
phone 502-569-5504 fax 502-569-8073
E-mail PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org Web page: http://www.pcusa.org
Browse month . . .
Browse month (sort by Source) . . .
Advanced Search & Browse . . .