From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator Tells of Travels, Mission Forum Plans

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 04 May 1996 20:30:36

18-Jan-96

96030    Moderator Tells of Travels, Mission Forum Plans

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Announcing that she has logged close to 400,000 air miles
since July and about 11,000 more on the ground, Moderator Marj Carpenter
said she senses an "upsurge in vitality ... out in the church."

     She said the reason why is mission.

     Carpenter said 99 people are registered for the Moderator's
Invitational Forum on Mission, set for Jan. 29-30 in Louisville.  She
intends to use the time to invite comment about what General Assembly
programming might be cut in the 1997 mission budget -- just for the General
Assembly Council's information -- and to evaluate how the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) is doing its mission.

     "We're not going to address single issues about anything," Carpenter
told the executive committee of the General Assembly Council during its
January 12-13 meeting here.  "But it's [the roster of forum participants]
an interesting list, a diverse group of people.  And I'm glad about that."

     Carpenter said the moderator's forum is the first since the Rev.
Benjamin Weir held one on the Middle East in 1987.  And, she said, it was
organized even when there was no budget for it.

     Where Carpenter sees activity in the wider church is in youth work and
in new church development, particularly in the West. She said her favorite
new church development is one that meets in a old pool hall in Igloo River,
Alaska.

     "I'm trying to be open to all voices," she said, describing her
meetings with groups as diverse as the Presbyterian Lay Committee and the
More Light Network.  "I've turned down no group that has asked me to hear
them. ...

     "I'm doing a lot of listening," Carpenter said.

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073