From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NGO FORUM WORKSHOP OFFERS MEN WAYS TO BE

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 04 May 1996 20:32:35

14-Sep-95

95319       NGO FORUM WORKSHOP OFFERS MEN WAYS TO BE
                  SUPPORTIVE OF WOMEN'S MOVEMENT

                         by Julian Shipp

BEIJING--Although clearly the minority among conference participants, men
attending the Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Forum discovered ways to
be supportive of the international women's movement in a Sept. 3 workshop
titled "Men Supporting Women's Rights: Political and Social Equality."

     Representing a U.S. organization called the No Limits for Women
Project, Chris Fosgill said men can best support the feminist movement by
becoming "allies to women."

     According to Fosgill, men should:

       educate themselves to the realties of women's lives

       listen to women's life stories

       support women's leadership and learn to follow female leaders.

     "Men should not play leading but support roles in the women's
movement," Fosgill said. "But we need to build communities of [male]
support around ourselves."

     Representing another American organization called National
Organization for Men Against Sexism (NOMAS), Ben Zeman said that a way for
men to advocate for women's equality is to share the work of programs
stemming out of the Platform for Action of the U.N. Fourth World Conference
on Women.

     Zeman also suggested men take a grassroots approach by asking wives,
girlfriends, female colleagues, etc., how they can be more sensitive to
women's concerns.

     Zeman said he came to the NGO Forum to learn firsthand about the
global plight of women and recruit what he described as a "few good men"
willing to support the feminist movement.

     "I need to learn from you all," Zeman said. "And I need to take what
I've learned back to the men I work with."

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073