From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MODERATORIAL REFLECTION: ABOUT NEW WILMINGTON

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 May 1996 08:37:55

21-Aug-95

95278     MODERATORIAL REFLECTION: ABOUT NEW WILMINGTON

                        by Marj Carpenter
                Moderator, 207th General Assembly

     Up in Pennsylvania every summer is something called the New Wilmington
Mission Conference.  It began 90 years ago in the UPNAdenomination and it
has never died.  There were about l,300 this year in attendance.

      Enthusiasm always prevails.  The site had been moved to Allegheny
College because Westminster College was undergoing improvements.  I got to
be introduced by one of the best-loved persons in that part of the
church...former Moderator Ken Hall.

      What has always impressed me most is the large number of mission
personnel and former mission personnel that come.  They are like one big
family.  A lot of them worked in the areas for which the UPNA was well
known-- Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Turkey, Iran, Iraq --tough areas for
mission.

     There were those in attendance from other places as well...but that
hard core of former missionaries are like one big family.  And I am
impressed every time that I am around them. God bless you.

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073