From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Self-development of People Committee

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 25 May 1996 05:35:21

96194          Self-development of People Committee
                Welcomes  New Officers And Members

                         by Julian Shipp

OCHO RIOS, Jamaica--At its May 15-20 meeting here, the National
Presbyterian Committee on the Self-Development of People (SDOP) welcomed
its new chair and vice chair, both of whom will serve for a period of  at
least one year. The group also welcomed three new committee members.

     Cindy Joe of San Francisco assumed the office of chair. Oscar Heyward
of Howard Beach, N.Y., assumed the office of vice chair. Both officers were
elected in January.

     A former chair of the General Assembly Committee on Representation,
Joe is a ruling elder and member of the Presbyterian Church in Chinatown in
San Francisco. She is the first woman to be chair of the Asian Caucus of
the National Asian Presbyterian Council and currently serves on the board
of the Chinese Community Housing Corporation in San Francisco. According to
Frederic T. Walls, SDOP coordinator, Joe is also the first Asian American
woman to chair SDOP's National Committee.

     "It looks like we still have a lot of work ahead of us in getting
SDOP's message out to the people," Joe said. "And I'm looking forward to
helping get that message out."

     Heyward is currently chair of SDOP's Northeast Task Force and has
served on the organization's certification, personnel and review
committees. He is a ruling elder at Denton Presbyterian Church in Queens,
New York, and served as financial secretary and pastor nominating committee
chair of his church when it called its current pastor in 1993.

     "[SDOP] has been a very positive experience and I hope to use my
professional background experiences to serve as vice chair of this
committee," Heyward told the Presbyterian News Service.

     SDOP also welcomed its three new National Committee members. They are
Toshio (Tosh) Akita of Hollister, Calif., Mary Ann Walt of Solon Springs,
Wis. (both class of 1997), and Lea Ward of Sonoita, Ariz. (class of 1998).

     The committee also thanked and honored its five outgoing members: the
Rev. Betsy Alden of Albuquerque, N.M.; Nancy Boutelle of Beloit, Wis.; Max
Cordova  of Chimayo, N.M.; Olga O.  Hawkins of Inglewood, Calif.; and Susan
Freed-Held of Colton, Ore.

     "We salute the outgoing class of 1996 and thank them and are grateful
for what they have done for us," Walls said.

     While in Jamaica, the committee visited several projects in Kingston
and Montego Bay to establish people-to-people contacts with groups that
have submitted funding proposals to SDOP.  The purpose of the visits was to
confirm the condition, leadership, possible solutions and potential of the
projects and resources outlined in the proposals.

     Walls said that in addition to being a mandatory SDOP requirement, the
on-site visits also help committee members understand the SDOP ministry,
learn from the people visited and coordinate SDOP's work with other funding
ministries of the church. Ground transportation and planning of the group's
itinerary were provided by the United Church in Jamaica and the Cayman
Islands.

 .

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073