From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LUTHERANS LAUNCH REVIEW OF SOCIAL POLICY APPARATUS

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 May 1996 13:16:40

16-Jun-95

95210   LUTHERANS LAUNCH REVIEW OF SOCIAL POLICY APPARATUS

      by Evangelical Lutheran Church in America News Service

CHICAGO--The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has begun a
review of how it addresses social issues.  The ELCA's Division for Church
and Society "studies social issues and prepares social statements for this
church's consideration and action."

     "With our current understanding of social statements, we may try to do
too many things in one kind of document," said Per M. Anderson, assistant
professor of religion at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minn.

     He chairs a Social Statement Review Committee assembled by the church
and society board "to undertake a good-faith search into the nature of
social statements and the use of social statements in the ELCA."

     "Everyone seems to have a concern about social statements at this
point," Anderson said.  "We're trying to put our finger on the nature of
those concerns."

     One irony noted at the committee's first meeting May 15-16 was that
some Lutherans want their church to speak out on difficult social issues,
but they resent their church telling them what to do.

     The committee developed a plan to assess concerns that many of the
ELCA's 5.2 million members have about social statements through focus
groups and surveys.  The group's report is due by the end of 1996.

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073