From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MAINLINE CONSERVATIVES ORGANIZE BEIJING DELEGATION

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 May 1996 13:18:42

3-Jul-95

95216   MAINLINE CONSERVATIVES ORGANIZE BEIJING DELEGATION

                     by Religion News Service

WASHINGTON--The Institute on Religion and Democracy (IRD), an advocacy
group of conservatives belonging to mainline Protestant denominations, says
it is organizing a delegation to attend the United Nations World Conference
on Women in Beijing Sept. 4-15 to present an alternative to mainline church
views.

     The IRD includes as one of its constituent organizations Presbyterians
for Democracy and Religious Freedom (PDRF).

     "We are not confident that the delegations to Beijing from U.S.
Protestant churches, such as the Presbyterian, Episcopal or United
Methodist, will represent the views of the vast majority of women in these
denominations," said Terry Schlossberg, executive director of Presbyterians
Pro-Life and a spokeswoman for the IRD-created Ecumenical Coalition on
Women and Society.

     IRD president Diane Knippers said the draft plan of action to be
discussed by the approximately 175 nations at the Beijing meeting is an
"arrogant, intrusive and comprehensive experiment in social engineering and
restructuring society."

     She said that in the effort to promote the goals of equal educational
and employment opportunity, the draft plan ignored the central role of the
family.  The plan should assure that women who want to be homemakers will
not have a lesser status than those who opt to be in the work force, she
said.

     "We will lend strong support to an understanding of the family as the
essential mediating institution and building block of society," she said.
"We will also support the fundamental rights of women, including their
religious rights."

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073