From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Sydney Synod Defers Lay Presidency Question

From rollins@intac.com
Date 06 May 1996 06:14:24

11/2/95
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon James M. Rosenthal, Director of Communications
Anglican Communion News Service
157 Waterloo Road, London SE1 8UT, England
Tel. 44 0171 620-1110    jim.rosenthal@ecunet.org
Fax 44 0171 620-1071

#754 ACC - 2 November 1995

Sydney Synod Defers Lay Presidency Question

(Margaret Rodgers, Australia) The Sydney Anglican Diocesan Synod has
voted to defer until 1996 the Third Reading of its Preaching and
Administration of Holy Communion by Lay Persons [Lay Presidency] and
Deacons Ordinance.

The Archbishop of Sydney, the Most Reverend Harry Goodhew had
implied in his Presidential Address that he would have to consider
carefully whether to give his assent to the Bill if it was passed.

"The expansion of the present Bill beyond the limited situations
proposed in earlier reports makes it more of a problem for me", said
the Archbishop. "I will listen carefully to what the Synod may say
and take account of what it does. I hope you will continue to pray
that God will continue to guide me to act wisely and not give up on
remembering me constantly before God if my future actions on this
matter, whatever they may be, do not agree with the position you
firmly espouse."

Prior to debate on the Ordinance, the Synod voted in favour of a
motion to withdraw the question to the Appellate Tribunal.