From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Strobel Elected Bishop in Pennsylvania

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 22 May 1996 09:48:13

News from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

May 22, 1996

STROBEL ELECTED BISHOP

The Rev. David R. Strobel, Trinity Lutheran Church,
Reading, Pa., was elected May 11 to a six-year term as
bishop of the Northeastern Pennsylvania Synod of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.  He received
453 votes on the fifth ballot taken during the synod's
assembly in Lake Harmony, Pa.  The Rev. Gilbert B.
Furst, executive assistant to Bishop Harold S. Weiss,
Wescosville, Pa., received 237 votes on that ballot.
Strobel will succeed Weiss on Aug. 1. "The major
challenge before us," Strobel said, "is to rediscover who
we are.  In this post-modern age, we cannot be Christians
by instinct.  We must be Christians by intention."  The Rev.
Darrell H. Jodock, religion professor, Muhlenberg
College, Allentown, Pa., was also considered on the
election's fourth ballot.

[ELCA News and Information: 8765 W. Higgins Road,
Chicago, IL   60631; phone 312/380-2963]