From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Numerous Presbyterians Attend Capitol Ceremony

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 22 May 1996 15:14:35

96179    Numerous Presbyterians Attend Capitol Ceremony
               Honoring Billy and Ruth Bell Graham

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--A number of invited Presbyterians attended the May 2
ceremony in the Capitol Rotunda in Washington honoring Billy and Ruth Bell
Graham.  The world's most famous Christian evangelist and his wife received
the Congressional Gold Medal --  "the only thing we've voted on unanimously
this year," according to Senator Robert Dole (R-Kan.).

     Only 114 Congressional Gold Medals have been awarded in the nation's
history.  The first went to George Washington.  The Grahams were the third
couple so honored, and Billy Graham is only the second minister.

     Ruth Bell Graham is the daughter of the late Nelson Bell, a former
moderator of the Presbyterian Church in the United States and a missionary
for the denomination.  Ruth is an elder in the Montreat Presbyterian Church
in North Carolina.

     Her brother, the Rev. B. Clayton Bell Sr., pastor of Highland Park
Presbyterian Church in Dallas, attended the Capitol ceremony with his
family, as did the Rev. Leighton Ford of Charlotte, N.C., Billy Graham's
brother-in-law.

     Other Presbyterians in attendance were current General Assembly
moderator Marj Carpenter; the Rev. Frank Harrington, pastor of Peachtree
Presbyterian Church in Atlanta, and his wife; the Rev.  Ted Nissen, pastor
of Colonial Presbyterian Church in Kansas City; the Rev. Don McCullough,
president of San Francisco Theological Seminary; the Rev. John A. Huffman
Jr., pastor of Newport Beach (Calif.) Presbyterian Church; the Rev. Louis
H. Evans Jr. and Colleen Evans; and the Rev. M. Craig Barnes, pastor of
National Presbyterian Church in Washington.

     Also in attendance: the Rev. Lloyd Ogilvie, chaplain of the U.S.
Senate; Deb Halverson, widow of former U.S. Senate chaplain Richard
Halverson; Betty Moore of Florence, S.C.; the Rev. Jerry Kirk of
Cincinnati; and William Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ.

     Numerous Presbyterians who serve in the U.S. Congress were also
present for the ceremony.

     Upon accepting the award, Billy Graham said, "We are a society poised
on the brink of self-destruction.  If ever we needed God's help, it is now.
If ever we needed spiritual renewal, it is now." And, he added, "Love is
the big thing.  We're to love."

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, KY 40202
  phone 502-569-5504            fax 502-569-8073