From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Souper Bowl Program Scores

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date 28 Jun 1996 08:30:18

27-June-96

96243              Souper Bowl Program Scores a
               Touchdown With Presbyterian Youth

                         by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Presbyterian youth groups played a major role in this
year's "Souper Bowl Program," which in one day raised more than $1.3
million to feed the poor and hungry across America.

     More than 1,100 Presbyterian youths participated in this year's Souper
Bowl, according to Gary R. Cook, associate for the Presbyterian Hunger
Program in the Worldwide Ministries Division, and Rodger Nishioka,
associate for youth ministry in the Congregational Ministries Division.

     "On behalf of the Presbyterian Hunger Program and the Youth Ministries
Office, we thank our youths for their participation in Souper Bowl 1996,"
Cook said. "Their hard work made a big difference for hungry people in our
communities."

     Worshipers gave $1 as they left church on Super Bowl Sunday. Young
people collected the contributions in large soup bowls and donated the
money to the anti-hunger ministry they felt best serves their community.

     The Souper Bowl was inspired by the Rev. Brad Smith, pastor of Spring
Valley Presbyterian Church in Columbia, S.C., as he prayed the following
prayer on Super Bowl Sunday 1989: "Lord, as we enjoy the Super Bowl
football game, help us remember those who are without even a bowl of soup
to eat."

     The Spring Valley youth group took the Souper Bowl concept and ran
with it, raising $5,700 among 22 Columbia, S.C., churches in 1990. This
year's $1.3 million was raised by more than 4,600 churches and other groups
representing three Christian denominations, as well as synagogues, schools
and businesses.

     Every state in the union was represented with the exception of Hawaii.
Several congregations in Canada also participated. Super Bowl XXX host
state Arizona, led by the Arizona Ecumenical Council, raised $600,000. Ten
states scored 100 or more participating churches and $10,000 or more was
raised in 20 states.

     "It is so exciting to see people love God and love their neighbors in
this simple way," Smith said, commenting on the Souper Bowl effort and
participant enthusiasm. "We are grateful for every single person who joined
this partnership of caring and we can't wait until January 26, 1997."

     Participants who have not yet reported their totals should call
1-800-358-SOUP. Persons interested in joining the partnership next year are
encouraged to call as well.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073