From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian Scientists gather in Boston for 1996 Annual Meeting

From WMBorn@aol.com
Date 03 Jun 1996 08:57:28

June 3, 1996

Christian Scientists Respond to Public's Quest for Spirituality

Boston - Some 3,000 Christian Scientists from around the world assembled
today here in The Mother Church to listen to reports from officers and senior
staff during the 101st annual meeting of The First Church of Christ,
Scientist.

The reports addressed the question of how to respond to an age seeking the
spiritual potential for solving today's challenges in human relations,
health, community, and family.  Over a century ago the Church's Founder, Mary
Baker Eddy, described this yearning as the age "reaching out."

Named President of the Church for the coming year was Juan Carlos Lavigne of
Buenos Aires, Argentina.  In his opening address he said, "To the degree that
God's love becomes closer and more real to us, our capacity to love expands .
. . .  We begin to pray for others.  We cannot help but recognize and embrace
those reaching out."

The report from The Christian Science Board of Directors was given by its
Chairman, Virginia S. Harris.  In it she summarized, "Together now, this is
our time.  Our doubts, the distractions, the responsibilities can be
redeemed, and our unselfish, celestial potential to respond, to help the race
can be laid on God's altar of healing."

Other reports included those from:
Olga M. Chaffee, Clerk, who spoke of new members joining the Church from 42
countries.
John L. Selover, Treasurer, cited the healthy condition of Church finances,
  and that contributions continue to be strong.
The Publisher of the writings of Mary Baker Eddy reported that sales of
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Eddy's principal work,
reached record levels this year.  It is currently translated into 17
languages, including Braille, with the latest Russian translation now being
well received in that country's new atmosphere of greater freedom of worship.
David T. Cook, Editor of The Christian Science Monitor, reported on the
Monitor's having received this past year its 6th Pulitzer Prize-this for
David Rhode's courageous reporting on Bosnia.
Victor Westberg, Manager of Committees on Publication, told of the continued
positive effect from Congress' passage of the Religious Freedom Restoration
Act.

President Lavigne is a practitioner and teacher of Christian Science and has
served the Church as Clerk and as a member of the Board of Lectureship,
speaking to the public in Spanish, Portuguese, and English.

Central to the meeting were Mary Baker Eddy's words:  "This age is reaching
out towards the perfect Principle of things; is pushing towards perfection in
art, invention, and manufacture.  Why, then, should religion be stereotyped,
and we not obtain a more perfect and practical Christianity?"

 CONTACT: Michael Born, Christian Science Committee on Publication, Boston,
MA
 (617) 450-3321 or e-mail: WMBORN@aol.com