From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCCAN Response to Canadian Human Rights legislation

From KAREN_WALKER.parti@ecunet.org
Date 03 Jun 1996 13:52:50

Monday, April 29, 1996
The United Church of Canada
Mary-Frances Denis, Publicist
(416) 231-5931
c/o email: karen_walker.parti@ecunet.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, April 29,1996

UNITED CHURCH WELCOMES CHANGE TO
CANADIAN HUMAN RIGHTS ACT

Toronto: Marion Best, the Moderator of Canada's largest
Protestant denomination, The United Church of Canada, expressed
deep satisfaction today as legislation was introduced in Parliament
to protect the human rights of gays and lesbians.

Best was commenting in response to news of the introduction of a
bill in the House of Commons amending the Canadian Human
Rights Act to include "sexual orientation" as an express, prohibited
ground of discrimination.

"The introduction of this bill is long overdue," says Best.  "Federal
governments have made commitments to act since at least 1985 and
the United Church has publicly advocated for such a measure since
1977."

Commenting on the legislation, Best said, "This measure is more
than symbolic.  It will provide direction to those who have
responsibility for ensuring that all Canadians understand and
consistently respect their gay and lesbian neighbours."

Human Rights Act in this way will give special rights to some and
not to others, Best said, "The protection from discrimination of an
identifiable group in society, whom we know have suffered as the
result of prejudice, does not confer special rights.  What it does do
is acknowledge that some people's rights are being ignored with
very sorry consequences."

--MORE--

Human Rights Act ......../2

"We believe that Canadian society can do better, and this legislation
will help us do better," says Best.

Moderator Best also congratulated Justice Minister Alan Rock for
his courage in taking this long-promised step.  "We applaud the
minister's commitment to having this legislation introduced, despite
the criticism he is likely to face from those who disagree with his
position," says Best.

Mary-Frances Denis
Manager of Public Relations & Information
416-231-7680  ext. 4033    (business)
416-960-8836               (residence)

--30--

Karen Walker