From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ecumenists' Gathering Strikes Hopeful Note

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 09 Jun 1996 20:22:38

May 30, 1996

96207       Ecumenists' Gathering Strikes Hopeful Note

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

RICHMOND, Va.--Buoyed by a number of high-level dialogues currently going
on among a number of denominations, 400 ecumenical leaders from across the
country gathered here May 6-9 for the 1996 National Workshop on Christian
Unity (NWCU).

     The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) was represented on the planning
committee for the workshop by the Rev. Lewis Lancaster of Louisville,
chair, and the Rev. Kathy Reeves, associate for ecumenical programming and
education in the Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations program area of the
Worldwide Ministries Division.  Approximately 20 Presbyterians attended the
workshop.

     Reflecting on the various ecumenical conversations under way among
many major American churches, Michael Root, director and research professor
for ecumenical research in Strasbourg, France, said the number and level of
talks "represents a striking convergence in U.S. ecumenism."  He said
ecumenical developments in the U.S. are "the best contemporary chance at
ecumenical progress."

     One keynote speaker, Presiding Bishop Philip R. Cousin of the African
Methodist Episcopal Church, challenged workshop participants to open their
church doors to greater inclusiveness.  He urged religious leaders "to
struggle against our tendency to want our  shop' to remain our  shop' and
to think of our churches as our house, not God's."

     Mary Tanner, who heads the Council for Christian Unity of the Church
of England and is moderator of the World Council of Churches' Faith and
Order working group, said ecumenical progress "provides an opportunity for
the renewal of the whole church."

     Participants addressed a variety of topics in seminars, including "All
God's Children Got Shoes: African Americans and the Ecumenical Movement";
"The Peace Churches: Their Gift to the Ecumenical Enterprise"; "Does the
Church Have a Place for Me?" exploring how churches can reach out
effectively to people who find difficulty fitting into mainstream churches;
and "Hate-Violence: An Ecumenical Response," which dealt with responses by
the religious community to the 1995 bombing of the Murrah Federal Building
in Oklahoma City and to the resurgence of hate groups in places like
Montana and church arsons in the Southeast.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073