From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Abortion Debate Heats up in Presbyterian Church

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 09 Jun 1996 20:22:43

May 30, 1996

96201    Abortion Debate Heats up in Presbyterian Church
            After President Clinton Vetoes Legislation

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--President Clinton's veto of the so-called "partial birth
abortion" bill has prompted letters to the U.S. Congress from both
pro-choice and anti-abortion Presbyterians and has rekindled the debate
over the church's stance on abortion.

     After Clinton's veto, 36 religious leaders, including six
Presbyterians, sent a letter to members of the U.S.Congress urging that the
veto not be overridden.

     The April 29 letter -- from the Religious Coalition for Reproductive
Choice (RCRC), of which the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is a member -- was
followed the next day by an RCRC press conference in Washington, D.C., at
which the Rev. Elenora Giddings Ivory, director of the Presbyterian
Washington Office, outlined the General Assembly's policies on abortion and
the matter of choice.

     Calling "infanticide" the controversial, seldom-used (600 in 1995)
late-term abortion procedure intact dilation and extraction,  Presbyterians
Pro-Life has denounced Presbyterians who signed the RCRC letter, and on May
17 six anti-abortion Presbyterian leaders joined other anti-abortion
religious leaders in protesting the president's veto in a letter to members
of Congress from the National Pro-Life Religious Council (NPRC).

     The abortion procedure Congress wanted to ban is believed to be used
only rarely and in cases when the mother's life is at risk or the fetus is
severely deformed.  Anti-abortion forces refer to the procedure as "partial
birth abortion" because it involves removing a fetus through the birth
canal, usually feet first, which sometimes requires crushing the skull and
suctioning out the brain.

     "The reality is that its closer to infanticide than to abortion,"
Terry Schlossberg told the Presbyterian News Service.  "Even many
pro-choice people object to intact dilation and extraction because it is so
abhorrent and extreme," she claimed.

     But Colleen Bowers, a registered pediatric nurse in Baltimore and
co-convener of Presbyterians Affirming Reproductive Options, disputed
Schlossberg's characterization of the controversial procedure and the
tactics anti-abortionists employ to oppose it.

     "The term  partial birth abortion' was concocted by conservative
groups to drum up support and stir up emotions for their cause," she
charged.  Bowers sharply criticized as inaccurate graphic depictions of the
procedure in which the fetus is shown as a perfectly formed baby. A graphic
furnished to the Presbyterian News Service by Schlossberg fit Bowers'
description precisely.

     "A more accurate picture," Bowers said, "of a grossly deformed fetus
with all of its organs on the outside of its body, would stir compassion
for the mother, which is far more appropriate than the distorted and
hurtful reactions they [anti-abortionists] try to stir up."

     The issue will come before the 208th General Assembly in Albuquerque.
Prospect Hill Presbytery has submitted an overture calling upon the
Assembly to go on record as opposing any abortion after the fifth month of
pregnancy.  The overture also calls upon the Board of Pensions to exclude
reimbursement for the procedure from the Presbyterian Church's major
medical plan.

     Excerpts from the RCRC letter to members of Congress, April 29:

     "We fully support the President's action in standing with women and
their families who face tragic, untenable pregnancies.
     "In the case of severe fetal anomalies or threats to the life and
health of the mother, people of faith are called to cherish the life of the
mother and others who are affected -- the husband or partner, the children
already living, and others -- and to have compassion for a fetus who, if
born, would inevitably suffer or die.
     "We are convinced that each woman who is faced with such difficult
moral decisions must be free to decide how to respond, in consultation with
her doctor, her family and her God.  Neither we as religious leaders, nor
the President, nor Congress -- none of us -- can discern God's will as well
as the woman herself, and that is where we believe the decision must
remain.
     "Indeed, where religious people have such profound and sincere
differences -- even within our own denominations and faith groups -- the
government must not legislate, and thus impose, one religious view on all
our citizens.  To do so violates our most cherished tradition of religious
freedom."

     Presbyterians who signed the letter were the Rev. James E. Andrews,
stated clerk of the General Assembly; Ivory; the Rev. Vernon Broyles III,
acting director of the National Ministries Division in Louisville; and the
Rev. Arch B. Taylor Jr., the Rev. Mary Kuhns and the Rev. Anne Hickey of
Louisville Presbytery.

     Excerpts from Elenora Giddings Ivory's press statement, April 30:

     " God alone is Lord of the conscience' is a line out of the
Westminster Confession of Faith of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) [The
Book of Confession 6.109].
     "Jews, Catholics and Protestants are not monolithic in their belief of
when life begins.  At least five views are held regarding when life begins:
conception; four various criteria developed by the Harvard Medical School;
at  quickening'; at  viability'; and at birth.
     "It is precisely because of these different points of view -- held in
good conscience by people of faith -- that the state should not interfere.
     "The root of our differences lie primarily in our theology but also in
our polity.  Who makes decisions for the individual Christian? Should it be
her church?  Should this power be given to Congress?  Should the state be
permitted to step in between a woman and her understanding of her faith in
this instance?
     "The veto recognizes that the life of the woman is precious and that
the woman has the right to communicate with her doctor and directly with
her God as this painful decision is being made."

     Excerpts from NPRC letter to members of Congress, May 17:

     "Such abortions not only kill live babies but also are ineffective in
protecting the life of a mother in a pregnancy involving a medical crisis.
They do nothing to enhance a mother's health or well-being.
     "Congressional hearings made it clear that the overwhelming number of
such abortions have been performed for elective reasons and not for medical
necessity.  According to testimony in the hearings, most of the children
were healthy, viable and free of anomalies when they were aborted by this
procedure.  The babies' deliveries were induced after turning them in a
breech position, then stopped before delivery of the head, strictly to meet
the legal technicality that would allow the killings to be termed an
abortion,' which is legal, instead of  infanticide,' which is illegal.
     "Our traditions teach the protection of the innocent from any threat
of harm.  To truly care for women who face pregnancies which for them
constitute a crisis (whether due to their own psychological or emotional
condition or out of concern for the health of their unborn children)
involves providing them with the assurance of help for their physical,
spiritual, psychological and financial needs, as well as offering
alternatives such as adoption.
     "The ministries we offer are faithful to the teaching of Christ to
love and care for our neighbors, both mother and child."

     Presbyterians who signed the letter were Schlossberg; Susan Cyre,
executive director, Presbyterians for Faith, Family and Ministry; William
T. Devlin, director of the  Philadelphia Family Policy Council and an elder
at New Life Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia; Donald A. Elliott,
president of Presbyterians Pro-Life; the Rev. Benjamin Sheldon, president
emeritus of Presbyterians Pro-Life; and the Rev. Parker T. Williamson,
executive editor, "The Presbyterian Layman."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073