From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Leaders' Responses to Review Committee Recommendations Are

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 09 Jun 1996 20:22:44

Mostly Positive May 30, 1996

96203     Church Leaders' Responses to Review Committee
               Recommendations Are Mostly Positive

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Recommendations by the General Assembly's quadrennial
Committee on Review (CR) for improving the structure and operations of
Assembly entities are receiving generally high marks -- but not unqualified
support -- from Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) leaders most affected by them.

     "I believe the Review Committee has charted the right course as we
move toward the new millennium," the Rev. James D. Brown, executive
director of the General Assembly Council (GAC) told the Presbyterian News
Service.  "I think [the CR's work] will enable the council to strengthen
its work and witness, and I look forward to how commissioners [to the
upcoming General Assembly in Albuquerque] will grapple with an amazingly
complex set of issues."

     The Rev. D. William McIvor, chair of the GAC, also mixed praise for
the CR's work with curiosity about how its recommendations will be received
by the Assembly.  "I am appreciative of and grateful for the work the
committee has done.  But I am intrigued by a number of the
recommendations." McIvor said he feels that the CR, given the six-month
timeline for completing its comprehensive review, "may have wound up
building a couple of camels when it was trying to create horses."

          Management audit: flexibility versus accountability

     Brown said the concerns behind the CR's recommendation that a
consulting firm be hired "to study all aspects of the Office of the
Executive Director and Corporate and Adminstrative Services (CAS)" are
"legitimate."

     In its report the committee noted "unhealthy interaction and contests
of authority" between General Assembly entities, cited "a tendency for some
senior staff to use a top-down management style rather than a consultative
model" and reported "strong misgivings about the efficiency and
effectiveness of CAS" by other Assembly entities.

     "The Review Committee correctly identified the tension between the
fiscal accountability of a unified budgeting system and programmatic
flexibility for programmatic components," Brown said.  "A consultant can do
us a great favor by helping us enhance our work ... conducting a careful
examination of what we're trying to achieve and [determining whether] the
right systems [are] in place to do it."

     G.A. "Pat" Goff, director of CAS, agreed.  "I think very good things
can come of this," he told the Presbyterian News Service.  Noting that the
new GAC structure has only been in place since mid-1993, Goff said, "It's
time for a post  Shape and Form' audit -- to see what's working [in the new
structure] and why and what's not working and why not."

     Insisting that "we all can learn how to do our jobs better," Goff
said, "as long as it's out of the
 they are bad people,' witch hunt arena, a management study can help all of
us."

     Brown added that he "wants the fiscal systems of CAS to add value to
program and not be seen has hoops that program people have to jump
through."  The bottom line, he said, "is that we find the correct balance
between freedom and flexibility on the one hand and fiscal accountability
on the other hand."

       Overture 95-74: broadening participation in decision making

     The 1995 General Assembly referred overture 95-74 from Western
Colorado Presbytery to the CR with instructions for the committee to "bring
a plan" for direct election of members to Assembly-level committees by
presbyteries upon nominations by sessions.

     The CR's response -- increased representation by presbyteries on an
expanded GAC, more involvement by presbyteries and sessions in the
nomination process and more formal channels for communication between
national committee members and their sessions and presbyteries -- falls
short of the "direct election" sought by the overture.

          And no one seems entirely happy with the middle ground.

     The Rev. Al Ruth, executive presbyter of Western Colorado Presbytery,
told the Presbyterian News Service, "I applaud the efforts of the Review
Committee, though their recommendations fall a little short of what I would
prefer."  Ruth said he supports the CR's proposal to increase the size of
the GAC and to replace the current 25 at-large slots on the council with
presbytery-designated slots.  "The church will be served well by these
increased accountability measures.

     Brown said that as he travels the church "I hear expressed everywhere
a felt need for more participation in policy-making and oversight."  Noting
that a number of GAC members have turned down renomination to the council
because of the time demands, Brown said a larger council "should reduce the
overload that many members feel."  He said he is anticipating adding a day
to the September GAC meeting "to recollect and reorient, to focus on policy
development without overburdening council members."

     McIvor is less enthusiastic about expanding the GAC beyond its current
membership of 71. "One of my major concerns," McIvor said, "is that adding
so many new people to the council will cause disruption."  Saying the GAC
has "just found its legs" since the 1993 restructure, McIvor said that
"enlarging the GAC will change all that."

     The Rev. Robert Taylor, executive presbyter for Foothills Presbytery
and a staunch supporter of overture of 95-74, was highly critical of the
CR's treatment of the overture.  "I don't know if it was a wise thing for
the Assembly to pass the overture," Taylor told the Presbyterian News
Service, "but when the General Assembly tells a committee to do something
it should be done."

     Taylor said that adding more people to the GAC "is a gigantic step
backwards -- a council of 65 is pretty unworkable and a council of 95 is
impossible."  Increasing representation by presbyteries is not the same as
providing for direct election, Taylor said.  "If something is expressly
stated as a mandate, then it's got to be implemented.  I don't understand
[the CR response to overture 95-74].  It raises the question among
Presbyterians,  Why bother?'"

       General Assembly Nominating Committee: no loopholes?

     Response is also mixed on a CR proposal that all General
Assembly-level committee assignments go through the General Assembly
Nominating Committee (GANC).

     As part of its concern that middle governing bodies feel disconnected
from Assembly-level decision making, the CR noted that while 315 persons
currently serving on Assembly-level committees come through the GANC's
process, another 521 "are serving on related committees, task forces and
work groups without having come through the GANC process."

     So the CR is recommending that all nominations and elections go
through the GANC.

     McIvor argued that "it is not workable to run everything through the
nominating committee." He said there is not enough staff in the GANC office
"for what would be an unbearable workload."

     Sue Whitford, GANC coordinator in the Office of the General Assembly,
disagreed.  "This will probably result in no more work than we had before
the 1993 restructure when a lot of committees and task forces were
eliminated," she said.  "We are a lot more concerned about the perception
that people are serving on national committees without their presbyteries
even knowing about it -- that's a bigger problem than the workload."

     Retiring General Assembly stated clerk the Rev. James E. Andrews
doesn't like the lack of flexibility in the proposal.  "There's a lot of
difference between a longstanding committee and a short-term task-oriented
think-tank kind of group," he explained.  "If we are looking for
representation and balance, we need to look for such balance along a range
of groups rather than in every single group."

     Ruth said he found the CR proposal "very helpful -- it will minimize
the perception that there is a kind of musical chairs going on among a
General Assembly in-group."  Ruth said he would also like to see the GANC
nomination form modified to provide more flexibility.  He said the forms
should make room for applicants to list the skills they have to offer
rather than having to apply for a specific committee.

        General Assembly: annual, biennial, mission rally or what?

     The Review Committee seriously considered recommending biennial
meetings of the General Assembly, but after finding little support for such
a move outside of General Assembly staff members, abandoned the idea.
Instead the committee is recommending that in even-numbered years,
beginning in the year 2000, the Assembly be devoted to "worship and
celebration, continuing-education workshops, presentations and discussions
on subjects of churchwide interest, leadership development and programmatic
information."  No more than two days would be given over to formal business
during those years.

     Andrews doesn't support the idea.  "I still believe we should move to
alternate-year General Assemblies," insisted the clerk, stating an opinion
he has long held.

     Beyond that, Andrews said, "I don't know how you'll be able to
assemble commissioners and then tell them they can't do something.  It
hasn't worked before -- they will find a way to reach for anything they
feel needs attention."

     Andrews said an annual gathering "is okay, but don't call it General
Assembly."  Conceding that groups of Presbyterians "probably feel the need
to meet every year, call it a convention, call it a mission rally, call it
whatever, but don't call it General Assembly, and concentrate on building
community -- that's what Presbyterians really want."

              Everybody agrees: theology's important

     Church leaders agree that the CR's call to the church to engage in "a
year of prayer marked by self-examination, confession, repentance and
thanksgiving" is an essential step in the process of overcoming the
contentiousness that plagues the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

     In fact, Brown said, such prayer has already begun.  "I think what we
have done here [in the Presbyterian Center in Louisville] by taking 15
minutes every Thursday morning to pray specifically for the whole church is
significant," he said, "and as I travel about the church I feel like the
whole Presbyterian family has entered a season of prayer."

     Ruth agreed.  "The Review Committee has certainly got its and the
church's priorities straight by beginning its report with the need for
theology and prayer," he said.

     McIvor said that the year of prayer, coupled with the CR's
recommendations to elevate the theological development work of the General
Assembly, "has exciting possibilities."

     If the "basic thrust" of the CR's report is approved, said Brown,
"with its right attention to theological grounding and a commitment to a
constructive assessment of where we've come from and how to work our way
down the road to success, then the Review Committee will have been a major
contributor to our life together."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073