From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Joins Reconciling Program

From umethnews-request@ecunet.org
Date 13 Jun 1996 16:07:02

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3012 notes).

Note 3009 by UMNS on June 13, 1996 at 15:51 Eastern (3262 characters).

SEARCH: welcoming, gay, reconciling, resolution

  UMNS stories may be accessed on the Internet World Wide Web at:
                   http://www.umc.org/umns.html

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Linda Green                              295(10-71){3009}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470             June 13, 1996

Wisconsin United Methodists vote
to become Reconciling Conference

by Kristin Knudson Harris*

     SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. (UMNS) -- The resolution text was short,
but its impact will be felt throughout the church as Wisconsin
goes on record as a Reconciling Conference.
     During the May 30-June 2 annual meeting in Stevens Point,
Wis., a large majority of conference members voted to "welcome all
people into its churches," including gay men, lesbians and
bisexuals.
     Within United Methodism, Wisconsin joins four other annual
conferences that have taken a stand as Reconciling Conferences:
California-Nevada, New York, Northern Illinois and Troy.
     A similar resolution was defeated by a narrow eight-vote
margin in the Desert Southwest Conference (180 to 172).
     "For the past 15 years we have done a very good job of not
making a decision on this issue," said the Rev. Carolyn Kuntz of
Brookfield, Wis. "For once, we need to say where we are --
whatever the vote -- where we are right now."
     "We need to ask ourselves do we want to be open in the name
of Christ, to all?" the Rev. Harvey B. Delery of Racine, Wis.,
said.
     During sessions, conference members debated the difference
between a Reconciling Congregation/Conference and a Transforming
Congregation/Conference.
     Transforming Congregations, an unofficial United Methodist
organization, is a ministry that supports homosexuals who want to
change from a "gay lifestyle." In a Transforming Congregation, the
church is open to all but seeks to offer the transforming power of
Christ to gay men, lesbians, bisexuals and transsexuals.
     The Reconciling Program is an independent United Methodist
movement that welcomes homosexual and bisexual people into the
church. The movement counts 130 members -- churches, campus
ministries and annual conferences.
     To become a Reconciling Conference is a symbolic statement of
missional intent that indicates a welcome in the name of Christ to
all people regardless of sexual orientation. The action provides
for a representative from Wisconsin to serve as a liaison to the
board of the Reconciling Congregation/Conference program.
     The conference's decision to welcome all people into its
churches is consistent with a May 22 statement signed by leaders
of Wisconsin Conference of Churches, in response to attacks on the
gay and lesbian community.
     Wisconsin Bishop Sharon Rader was among the signers who
urged congregations to extend a "caring welcome to gay and lesbian
persons and their families and to offer themselves as safe places
for those who are persecuted or harassed in our society."
                              #  #  #

     * Knudson is the editor of ServantLink, the newspaper of the
Wisconsin Annual Conference.