From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Cross-racial appointments made

From umethnews-request@ecunet.org
Date 20 Jun 1996 16:29:25

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3026 notes).

Note 3025 by UMNS on June 20, 1996 at 16:04 Eastern (6841 characters).

SEARCH: cross-racial, Mississippi, Cornelius

  UMNS stories may be accessed on the Internet World Wide Web at:
                   http://www.umc.org/umns.html

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally                 311(10-21-31-71){3025}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470             June 20, 1996

Cross-racial appointments
made in Mississippi

               by Charlotte Graham, Religion Writer
                Reprinted with permission from the
Jackson (Miss.) Clarion Ledger

     JACKSON, Miss. (UMNS) -- The Rev. John Cornelius, an African
American, won't get the chance to build a family life center and a
cafeteria at Jackson's Central United Methodist Church as he
dreamed.
     On June 18, he left the inner-city church black church to
become pastor of the all-white Broadmeadow United Methodist Church
in north Jackson. Both churches have memberships of about 250.
     Cornelius was among hundreds of United Methodist ministers from
across the state who were assigned new churches at the close of the
Mississippi Annual Conference held here June 10-12.
     "This is a big change for me, but an exciting one," said
Cornelius, who served at Central for four years. "The personality of
the church will be different from that at Central. I have to go in,
get to know the people and work from there.
     "I have already met some of the people there, and they have
been very loving and supportive."
     For some, the appointment of a black pastor to a white
congregation may be surprising but Mississippi United Methodists
have grown to expect bold moves from Bishop Marshall L. "Jack"
Meadors Jr. Meadors, 63, was pastor of Buncombe Street United
Methodist Church in Greenville, S.C., when he was elected a bishop
in 1992 and assigned to the Mississippi Area.
     "He has been probably one of the most progressive bishops we
have had when it comes to race relations," said the Rev. Zachary
Beasley, pastor of St. Mark United Methodist Church in Gulfport,
chairman of the conference's Commission on Religion and Race.
     "Everybody knows that you don't have that many black pastors at
older or well-established white churches," he said. "But Bishop
Meadors has made several such appointments.
     "He looks at people based on who they are and what their
capabilities are. He does not look at color, and it's not a numbers
game with him."
     In 1994, Meadors appointed the Rev. Phillip Heidelberg, who is
black, as pastor of the predominantly white Wesley United Methodist
Church in Ocean Springs. In 1995, he appointed the Rev. Harold
Robinson, who is white, as pastor of St. Paul and Haven Chapel
United Methodist Churches in Meridian, both black congregations.
Both Heidelberg and Robinson were reappointed this year to the same
pastorates.
     Many at Broadmeadow, located in a racially changing
neighborhood, were surprised at Cornelius' appointment.
     "We have a lot of first-time homeowners moving into the
neighborhood -- both black and white," said Joel Shows, the church's
worker with children and youth. "Having Rev. Cornelius here will
give us an opportunity to minister in a different way. He will give
us more credibility in the black community and those who were
perhaps skeptical about coming here before will probably give us a
try."
     He admits that many members of the congregation are not pleased
with the appointment. "My wife  and I have spent several sleepless
nights because of our concern about people we respect, and the
trouble they are having dealing with this.
     "After the initial shock of it all, I think those who have
thought about going elsewhere will change their minds. They will see
that the church and its Christian work are what's important here."
     Last year, Meadors appointed the Rev. Leon Collier, who is
black, as an associate minister at Jackson's Christ United Methodist
Church that was looking to develop its urban ministry program in the
midtown community. With about 4,200 members, Christ is the
conference's largest United Methodist congregation.
     "When it comes to race, the United Methodist Church is trying
to be just that -- united," said Collier. "We want to come together
as a people."
     He acknowledged, however, that some still have hang-ups about
race. "I have heard negative statements to my face from other
ministers," he said. "I'm not worried about it all because I know I
am a Christian who has been placed here by the sovereignty of God.
My sole purpsoe here is to reach out to the inner city. God just
decided to use a large white congregation to help me do that."
     Meadors and his 11 district superintendents determine
ministerial appointments. Local congregations are consulted and
district superintendents work with the bishop in determining who is
best suited for a post. All United Methodist clergy are appointed
annually.
     Meadors said he finds satisfaction in seeing the churches
blossom under the leadership of the assigned ministers. "We pray
about each appointment," he said. "We seek God's direction."
     Meadors' often-controversial changes in the conference haven't
been limited to clergy appointments.
     Despite the objections of some Mississippi ministers, he
refused to "uninvite" Bishop Mary Ann Swenson of Denver, as guest
speaker at this year's annual conference sessions. Swenson, reared
in Mississippi, is an outspoken supporter of same-sex marriages and
ordination of homosexuals. Four of the more than 1,500 conference
delegates walked out on the opening night of the conference when
Swenson delivered the first of two sermons. None were seen leaving
when she gave her second sermon.
     "We try not to dwell on things like that (the controversy),"
Meadors said. "We had two powerful worship services. There was a
spirit of cooperation, goodwill, joy and hope."
     The Mississippi Conference includes 1,238 congregations, most
of which have fewer than 200 members. Meadors said the 1996
conference was the best-attended since he was named bishop.
     "This was my first conference and I thoroughly enjoyed
everything," said Allyne Evans, a conference member from Aldersgate
United Methodist Church in Jackson. "I have a better understanding
now of what the church is all about."
     The Rev. Charles Nicholson, superintendent of the conference's
East Jackson District, said the crowd even sat through business
sessions. "It was like not conference I have ever witnessed," he
said. "Most times people are moving in and out, in the hallways,
during the conference. But this year they were there for the entire
conference."
                              #  #  #