From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Burned Churches Get Help

From umethnews-request@ecunet.org
Date 24 Jun 1996 16:00:00

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3030 notes).

Note 3028 by UMNS on June 24, 1996 at 16:20 Eastern (2832 characters).

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

SEARCH: foundations, burned churches

  UMNS stories may be accessed on the Internet World Wide Web at:
                   http://www.umc.org/umns.html

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally                       314(10-71){3028}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470             June 24, 1996

Nine foundations working with National Council
to rebuild burned churches, address racism

     NEW YORK (UMNS) -- Nine foundations announced June 20 they are
providing $4.7 million in gifts and loans to help rebuild burned
churches and deal with underlying issues of racism.
     Eight foundations are providing a total of $2.7 million to the
National Council of Churches' "Burned Church Fund".  They are the
Annenberg, Ford, W.K. Kellogg, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur,
Charles Stewart Mott, Andreas and Rockefeller foundations and the
Pew Charitable Trusts.
     A ninth foundation -- Enterprise Foundation of Columbia, Md.
-- is offering $2 million in pre-construction loans in addition to
technical assistance in construction oversight and financial
planning.  The foundation is the largest supplier of federal
low-income tax credits.
     At a June 20 news conference in New York, National Council
staff executive Joan Brown Campbell announced that already
Protestant and Orthodox member denominations had pledged more than
$500,000 toward the "Burned Church Fund" and more pledges are
expected.  According to Board of Global Ministries officials,
United Methodists have not yet announced the amount of their
pledge.
     In a joint statement, representatives of the foundations said
their contributions are a response to the "spirit and resolve of
the pastors and their congregations to stand against racial and
religious intolerance."
     While rebuilding the churches is important, they noted, "the
greater challenge is to combat the hatred and bigotry that produce
this kind of lawlessness.  We must make clear that there is no
place for this behavior in our democratic society."
     Ford Foundation president Susan Berresford, who took the lead
in calling the foundation community together in support of the
burned churches, said "We cherish the freedom we have to work, live
and worship in safety.  Attacks on churches offend our sense of
decency."
     During her 35-year involvement in the ecumenical movement,
Campbell said, she had never seen such a diverse group of
foundations, social agencies and faith groups come together around
a common goal.
     United Methodists may contribute by sending money through
their local church to the "Burned Churches Fund" (Advance number
982700-1).
                              #  #  #