From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Congregation Funding Explored

From CURT_MILLER.parti@ecunet.org
Date 18 Jun 1996 12:47:32

May 31, 1996
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Phone: 317-635-3100   cliff_willis.parti@ecunet.org

96b-42   May 31, 1996   Contact: Clifford L. Willis

   INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- A 12-member "task team" has been
appointed by General Minister and President Richard L. Hamm
to discuss future directions for the denomination's new
congregation establishment program. The team began its work
with an initial meeting here May 15-16.

   The special task force, chaired by the Rev. R. Robert
Cueni, Kansas City, Mo., is particularly concerned with
identifying funding alternatives for the mission imperative
to "share the good news" through "establishing new
congregations." Cueni is senior minister of Country Club
Christian Church.

   "We see our task not merely as a means by which to fund
an existing program but to help Disciples of Christ enter
the 21st century as a renewed missionary movement," said
Cueni.  "We need to cast before our churches a compelling
vision for ministry in a mission field which has moved to
our doorstep."

   Hamm called the task team together in response to a
1995 General Assembly action directing the church "to
explore additional funding alternatives for new congregation
establishment." The team meets here again Oct. 28-29 to
finalize recommendations to be forwarded to the
Administrative Committee, General Board, General Assembly
and the Commission on Mission Funding.

   The 12-member task team includes three laypersons,
two pastors, two regional ministers, two general unit
presidents, and two ethnic constituency executives. In
addition to Cueni and Hamm, members include Rebecca Cruz,
layperson, Chicago, Ill.; Sarah Draper, layperson,
Birmingham, Ala.; (Mrs.) Eddie Griffin, layperson,
Chicago, Ill.; and the Rev. Rick Spleth, minister of
Creekwood Christian Church, Lewisville, Texas.

   Also on the task team are: the Rev. David Alexander,
regional minister, Christian Church in Georgia, Macon; the
Rev. Howard Ratcliff, regional minister, Christian Church in
Ohio, Elyria; and the Rev.  James L. Powell, president, Board
of Church Extension, Indianapolis, Ind.

   Rounding out the task team are the Rev. Ann Updegraff
Spleth, president, Homeland Ministries; the Rev. Lucas Torres,
national Hispanic pastor; and the Rev. Geunhee Yu, executive
pastor, American Asian Ministries of Homeland Ministries,
all of Indianapolis, Ind.

   Thompson and the Rev. Robert Welsh, associate general
minister and president of Church Finance Council serve as
ex-officio participants. The Rev. Jim R. Keown, recently
retired BCE vice-president, serves on the committee as
staff consultant.
                            --  end  --

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Office of Communication
Office of Communication
http://www.disciples.org/disciples