From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Stated Clerk Elections Were Not Always Contested

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 27 Jun 1996 12:16:48

Date: 27Jun-96

96249    Stated Clerk Elections Were Not Always Contested

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Despite jokes insisting that a surefire way not to be
elected stated clerk of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is to be the
nominee of the denomination's search committee, history tells a different
story.

     In both the former Northern and Southern streams, the search committee
nominee was elected with little or no opposition from the floor for at
least 32 years prior to reunion of the two denominations in 1983.

     Only two men in the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of
America (UPCUSA) -- Eugene Carson Blake and William P. Thompson -- held the
job over those 32 years.  In the Presbyterian Church in the United States
(PCUS), there were only three:  E.C. Scott, James A. Millard Jr. and James
E. Andrews.

     It is in the Assemblies after reunion -- 1984, 1988 and 1992 -- where
the story gets more complicated and where the search committee's nominee
was defeated or, in 1984, withdrew before ever making it to the floor at
all.

     The reasons why depend on who you ask and how you interpret the facts.
Some say it is old tensions still simmering after reunion; others say it is
mistrust of committee authority.  Others say simply that the deciding
factor is the competence of the candidates.  Still others contend that
personalities, gender and platform charisma all play a part.

     "The last two elections were exceptions to the rule if you look at our
history for the last 40 years in both predecessor denominations," according
to Fred Heuser, director of the denomination's Philadelphia-based
Department of History, whose staff researched elections back to 1951.  "It
is just that our memory is short.  We remember 1988 and 1992. ...

     "But I don't think we're as contentious as we like to think we are,"
said Heuser, who believes that what some call postreunion tension is
temporary rather than ingrained.

     Though politicking wasn't unfamiliar in either the UPCUSA or the PCUS,
stated clerk elections didn't seem -- at least openly -- as contentious as
the upsets that began in 1984, about the same time that negative
campaigning became a political fact of life in secular elections.

      "It's very clear that it's not a reunion phenomenon that we're having
these battles," said New Castle Presbytery executive the Rev. Patricia
McClurg, who withdrew her name from the stated clerk's race in 1984 when
the Assembly's search committee nominated the two incumbents, Andrews and
Thompson, after a pre-Assembly search had recommended McClurg for the job.
"The clerk's position is more important than it was 50 years ago," she
said, stressing that the PC(USA) office is modeled more along the lines of
the office in the former Northern church.  "So the stakes are higher in
some people's minds."

     Southern Presbyterians typically insist that the clerk's job was
primarily clerical in the former PCUS -- with the clerk serving as a record
keeper and parliamentarian who spoke only when asked for rulings.  The same
office in the North, they say, was molded into a much more powerful
position that was visible in public debates during the Blake and Thompson
years.  It was that power that placed the officeholder under more scrutiny
and ultimately gave the denomination's agenda makers more worries about who
was elected.

     With that backdrop, the tensions of reunion can only be credited for
part of the emotion surrounding what appears to be a deeper cultural
transition.

     "Across the board, the whole matter of authority is an issue in
society," said the Rev. James Costen of Atlanta, who was moderator of the
PCUS just prior to reunion and who remembers the desire for less authority
being built into national structures.

      But skepticism about authority in general, he said, puts in "serious
jeopardy" a Presbyterian tradition that has long entrusted committees with
decision making that is then reviewed by the wider body.  "Now everything
is subject to serious scrutiny from the body. ...

     "I'm quite concerned about our willingness to be Presbyterian today.
We're basically congregational [in our thinking] ... and we're beginning to
act Baptist and congregationalist."

     McClurg is quick to say that the 1984 election had its share of
cultural baggage, but remnants of regional loyalties were visible too.
"There were struggles out there. ... Will it be one of ours, one of theirs?
There was that going on, worrying and talking about what it would mean,"
she said, adding that the election was further politicized when it became
clear the two incumbents intended to run -- with two staffs full of people
who wanted to keep their jobs.

      1984 was, she says, a "real horse race."

     So was the 1992 race.  Andrews -- the committee nominee -- was upset
by the Rev. W. Clark Chamberlain of Houston, one of two floor nominees, the
other being the Rev. Charles Hammond, Philadelphia Presbytery's executive.
Chamberlain later declined the election, after allegations of sexual
misconduct against him surfaced just hours after his election.  Chamberlain
was later cleared of the charges.

     In 1988, Andrews defeated search committee nominee former Moderator
Harriet Nelson in a bid from the floor.

     Both votes, onlookers say, had more to do with perceived competency of
the nominees than with reunion or with a longer-standing distrust of the
nominating process itself.

     "Everything has to do with the platform performance," former PC(USA)
moderator the Rev. Ken Hall of Butler, Pa., told the Presbyterian News
Service.  "It isn't due to any prejudice due to committee recommendations.

     "The office is just won or lost on the platform," he said, stressing
that politicking may go on among the Assembly's "groupies," who plot and
strategize, but it is commissioners who make decisions by watching the
candidates themselves.

     Elder Otto Finkbeiner of Bryn Mawr, Pa., an associate stated clerk in
the UPCUSA for 18 years and for four in the PC(USA), shares that opinion.
But he also acknowledges that other factors come into play.

       Looking back at 1984, for instance, Finkbeiner wonders if the
denomination simply wanted the continuity represented by Thompson or
Andrews after a long reunion process.  "But I think there's trust [in the
process]," he said.  "Look how many times the nominating committee's
nominee was selected."

     Prior to 1984, the only time the search committee's nominee was not
elected was in 1966, when Thompson, a former moderator, ran against the
Rev. John W. Meister from the floor.

     Assembly watchers are willing to guarantee that blatant contention
between candidates is not well received by commissioners.

     "The question becomes," Heuser said, "why during the last three
elections has there been a willingness to attack?  Perhaps it has something
to do with the culture legitimating negative campaigning. ... We may not
have stooped to the level of national politics, but we are affected by it.
We could very well be dealing with a cultural thing. ...

     "Maybe these [elections] have gotten too politicized," Heuser said,
pausing. "That is a cultural ignorance -- seeing an election as something
to be won."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073