From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Logo and Theme Approved for 1997 General Assembly

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 27 Jun 1996 12:18:36

Date: 13-Jun-96

96220       Logo and Theme Approved for 1997 General Assembly

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--A logo and theme that lifts up partnership and peace --
"Have Salt within You and Be at Peace with One Another" (Mark 9:50b) -- has
been approved for the 1997 General Assembly, set for Syracuse, N.Y.

     The thematic designs, created by the Syracuse Committee on Local
Arrangements, were approved May 24 by the Committee on the Office of the
General Assembly (COGA).

     "The General Assembly is a new bowl every year.  And the participatory
style of planning in '97 is a uniquely new bowl," Local Arrangements chair
Kris Sammons of the Presbytery of Cayuga-Syracuse told COGA.

     Sammons explained that salt has both local and biblical significance.
Syracuse is known as "The Salt City," and salt deposits exist within the
six hosting presbyteries.  Salt, she said, appears in ancient covenants and
is frequently mentioned in the Bible.  It is essential to life and, Sammons
said, Jesus calls the church to be the salt of the earth.

     The Old Testament scripture is 2 Kings 2:20:  "...  Bring me a new
bowl and put salt in it.'"

     The six presbyteries sharing in the planning of  "Gala 1997," which is
the name adopted by the Local Arrangements committee for their Assembly
preparation efforts, are Albany, Cayuga-Syracuse, Geneva, Northern New
York, Susquehanna Valley and Utica.  The presbyteries are represented in
the logo by the six hands on the salt bowl, its visual centerpiece, with
the hand of God above the bowl.  The art is representative of Haudensaunee
(League of Six Nations/Iroquis) art.

     Cayuga-Syracuse is officially designated as the host presbytery.

     "Partnership came [as a theme] again and again to us," Sammons told
the Presbyterian News Service.  "Cayuga-Syracuse is not a very big
presbytery.  And we knew we'd need the assistance of our neighboring
presbyteries.  When we asked if they would like to join us, they readily
agreed."

     She said the emphasis on peace is a way to acknowledge the conflicts
that are so alive in the wider Presbyterian Church.  "There are differences
 ... and maybe there always will be.  But that doesn't mean we can't work
together and create something good out of it," Sammons said.

     Manager of Assembly Services Deborah Davies says it is unusual to have
six presbyteries working so closely to pull off an Assembly -- but that
such partnerships will probably become more common, depending on available
resources and the size of future host presbyteries.

     Last October, COGA voted to return responsibility for Assembly theme
and logo development to local committees, with input from other General
Assembly-level entities and subject to final approval by COGA.

     Sammons said the Syracuse committee will have an exhibit booth at this
year's Assembly in Albuquerque and hopes to have available some preliminary
tourist and mission information on northern New York.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073