From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSA News] Contributions of Native American Presbyterians

From PCUSA_NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 27 Jun 1996 12:20:45

Tilte: Contributions of Native American Presbyterians
Date: 13-Jun-96

96238     Contributions of Native American Presbyterians
             to Be Highlighted at General Assembly

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Elder Ireene Laurence says keeping Native American
congregations going on Navaho reservations in the southwest hasn't been
easy.

     Younger people are attracted to more charismatic churches or
traditional religions, she says, and family loyalty often dictates that
other members follow.

     Few ministers have trained elders to govern a church or to relate to
other governing bodies so congregations often flounder when their pastors
leave, Laurence says many Native American Presbyterians believe, pointing
out that seven Navaho pulpits are sitting empty right now.

     But 110 Native American Presbyterian congregations have endured, she
says.  And Laurence is looking forward to celebrating that at the 206th
General Assembly in Albuquerque, where:

          18 Native American church leaders will be honored
          the newly formed Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) American Indian
Youth Council will
          be introduced
          an overview of Native American ministries from Point Barrow,
Ala., to the east coast
          will be presented and
          a rededication and recommitment service will call native
Presbyterians and the wider
          church into new partnerships.

     Laurence is an elder in Trinity Presbyterian Church in Chinle, Ariz.,
one of two Native American churches in Grand Canyon Presbytery that drafted
an overture which resulted in last year's General Assembly scheduling the
Native American celebration this year.

     "We're honoring 18 reprsentatives of  Native American ministries as a
way of saying thank you to some for long years of service," says the Rev.
Harrell Davis, associate for Native American congregational enhancement.
"But we're also lifting up others by presenting a new generation, the
coming generation ...

     "A new group of leaders is developing."

     That is something to celebrate, says Laurence, who sees native
communities struggling now to become more self-supporting, both financially
and in their leadership.  And that means shedding some dependency on
outside resources and nurturing skills within native communities
themselves.

     "We're running out of time to adjust to being self-sufficient,"
Laurence says, noting that her own presbytery, Grand Canyon, is expecting
20 percent cuts in mission dollars over the next four years as the overall
mission budget declines.  A native committee there is already strategizing
how to prepare for those cuts.

     "If we don't do it," she says, "who will?"

     Elder Elona Street-Stewart of St. Paul, Minn., and staff to indigenous
Dakota Presbytery, says the wider church can be part of that transition by
offering technical support to Native churches. That does not mean sending
money, but getting involved -- coming to native communities and providing
teacher training or management seminars so existing skills may be applied
to congregational life.

     "The denomination hasn't been out there engaged in that ministry.  So
it doesn't know who the people are," Street-Stewart says, insisting there
is still a lack of information about reservation life and about the large
numbers of Native Americans who live in U.S. cities.

     "We're an invisible community," she says, " ... and [others] have held
onto a sterotype that is several decades old."

      Partnership is two ways, says Davis, who says Native Americans have
gifts to bring into conversation in the wider church -- a church that can
often be less expressive in worship.

     "When we provide these kinds of experiences," Davis said of native
music and dance that will be part of the Assembly celebration, "its more
than entertainment value ... Undergirding all those dances, songs and
costumes is a living encounter with God going on with these people."

     Laurence agrees.

      A third-generation Presbyterian, Laurence says people have powerful
stories to tell about the choice families made to be Christian in the first
place.  "The way they tell stories, how they try to reach our Native
Americans ... its compelling to listen to them," she said. It is one of the
reasons she's pushing for passage of Assembly overtures that grant lay
pastors more authority to keep churches going.

      "I'm a third-generation Presbyterian ... I want to go to Albuquerque.
I want to be with other Presbyterians.  I've never really gone out of my
way to go celebrate with people other than my own group," said Laurence,
who will be singing with the Navaho choir.

     "Its a big step forward for me."

     Street-Stewart says the celebration is a reminder, too, that Native
American Presbyterians have much to add to the ecclesiastical and cultural
heritage of the past century -- to tell "the rest of the story."  That
story, Street-Stewart would say, is ongoing.  Because at the Assembly's
end, Native American Presbyterians are "not going away," she says.

     "They're just going back home ... where they'll be making a
contribution to the local area and to the life of the denomination."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073