From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Semper Reformanda's theological conversaion addresses witnessing

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date 30 Jun 1996 23:08:34

29-June-1996

GA96012

     Semper Reformanda's theological conversation addresses
witnessing in a changing world

ALBUQUERQUE--Not fearing the risks that come with witnessing to the truth
of an "inexhaustible" Gospel -- to quote Presbyterian theologian Doug
Otatti -- is what it takes to face a changing world where the mainline
church is no longer "the most influential kid on the block."

    "We are in different circumstances ... It's a major cultural shift,"
Otatti told an already-persuaded gathering of Semper Reformanda just prior
to the opening of the 208th General Assembly.  "What we need to focus on is
what an opportunity this is ...

    "It must be some kind of wake-up call [from God]," said Otatti, a
sometimes controversial professor at Union Theological Seminary in
Virginia.  "Will we participate fully in the world ... or will we retreat
into the merely private and personal, the churchy and ecclesiastical?"

    Semper Reformanda (Always Being Reformed) is a network of groups and
individuals within the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) formed to share
information and support on issues tied to justice and liberation.  Its
gathering here included an afternoon of theological conversation with
Otatti, the Rev. V. Bruce Rigdon of Grosse Pointe, Mich.; Mary Jane
Patterson, former director of the Presbyterian Washington Office; and two
moderatorial candidates, John Buchanan and Norman Pott.

     And while the conversation wandered from ecumenics to '60s marches to
a "so-what" question from a younger generation, the core of the
conversation never shifted.  Framed as, "What We See God Doing, Now," that
translated loosely to: how does this church witness faithfully in a
changing world?

    "Friends, we've got to get busy," Patterson said, insisting that
Christians are called to perceive, participate in and proclaim what God is
doing to bring justice to the universe.  And that means Christians have to
discern what Patterson called "the signs of the times."

    Looking at previous models for ministry in urban areas, Buchanan said
that a brownstone building with a fellowship hall just "doesn't work in the
city now" -- citing his own congregation's struggle to discern how to be
present in Cabrini-Greene, a troubled housing project in Chicago's
downtown.

    "Its going to take enormous intelligence, creativity and love ... to
help reinvent what it means to be God's people," he said, citing the
current paralysis of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) around a few
polarizing issues and ideologies.

    Rigdon was more forceful, attributing "the agonies of the present
moment" to an increasing narrowness in Presbyterian circles.  "Somewhere in
the last 50 years, we lost our life," he said, pushing both for a
rediscovery of a public agenda and a renewed ecumenical life that includes
"all of God's children.  Not just those we've baptized."

     Despite nearly 2,000 years of church arguments about how Jesus is
present at the table, Rigdon said the New Testament account is clear that
Jesus opened the table to "all kinds of people."  It was Jesus' welcoming
the whole community that, ultimately, led to his crucifixion.  Ridgon said
that understanding is worth contemplating in a world engulfed by rising
nationalism that is, sometimes, even affirmed by religious communities.

    Attesting that creativity about complex issues exists on the local
level, Pott told Semper Reformanda that his own understanding shifted about
the ordination of gays and lesbians because "the providence of God has put
some homosexual persons in my path ...

    "How could we possibly justify biblically in the Presbyterian Church
that some Christians among us are not equipped with spiritual gifts?"

    While Pott said declining dollars and numbers are a reality
Presbyterians are going to have to face, he also pointed out the hopeful
news that those who do come to church are making "a conscious choice" and
want to bring a Christian stance to the world.

    Otatti affirmed the ongoing struggle to express a Gospel that can never
be captured but, nevertheless, tells the truth about God and the world,
about sin and good and about the church and the world.  "We're not to
equate our witness with the Gospel itself ... That's an important thing to
say to the Presbyterian Church right now," Otatti said.  "There are ways to
talk [about the Gospel] other than our ways ... Its important to generate
many perspectives ...

    "And it's important to witness to the truth of the Gospel regardless of
what the consequences are ... Its important to make a witness, even if its
only a few [people]," he said in a question-and-answer time, adding that
some call attempts to re-symbolize and re-incarnate the faith, heresy.
"But unless the risks are taken, the fruits that are there won't be
harvested."

Alexa Smith

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073