From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Business plan approved for curriculum operation

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date 30 Jun 1996 23:08:23

29-June-1996

GA96005

    Business plan approved for curriculum operation

ALBUQUERQUE--The General Assembly Council (GAC) gave approval June 28 for
the Congregational Ministries Division (CMD) to establish the new
"Curriculum Publishing Program Area," an action essentially paving the way
for the GAC to assume full control of the current curriculum operation.

    Assuming concurring action by the upcoming General Assembly, the GAC
will assume full responsibility for all publishing functions of
Presbyterian and Reformed Educational Ministry (PREM) curriculum July 22.
During this week's division meetings, GAC and Presbyterian Publishing
Corporation (PPC) officials announced that all pertinent transition issues
have been mutually resolved and the necessary contracts signed.

    "It has been a long journey as we have dealt with this question of
curriculum production," said the Rev. Blair R. Monie, CMD committee chair
of  Dallas. "It has not been an easy road."

    "I do think we now have the ability to put a team together and to take
a run at [assuming curriculum] for the good of the whole church," said the
Rev. James D. Brown, GAC executive director. "Much of this is an art as
well as a science. I would not sit here and say we have every detail worked
out, but I do think we're at a good juncture."

    Indeed, the transition of curriculum from PPC to GAC carries heavy
financial implications, due primarily to complex financial issues
surrounding the conversion. For example, according to G.A. "Pat" Goff,
Corporate and Administrative Services director, the curriculum transition
will have a total estimated cost of $2.7 million, including $1.5 million in
inventory purchases, an estimated deficit of $627,367 for 1996 and a
shortage of $198,169 for 1997.

    Goff said CMD is expected to finance the transition through $105,000
from the Capital Reserve Fund and by a $2.3 million note receivable from
PPC. He said the remaining funds will come from reallocating mission budget
resources; $187,901 this year and $198,170 in funds for 1997.

    According to GAC and PPC officials, there will be no relocation of
staff once the CMD takes over curriculum.  In the interest of effecting a
rapid transition, GAC and PPC staff will remain in their present locations
over the next few months.

    The GAC will be posting for open positions and interviewing between
July 8-19, offering jobs as soon as possible after each interview.  After
the transition date for staff expires July 22, PPC will make plans to
reorganize by the end of July.

Julian Shipp

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073