From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Messages from Moderator, Stated Clerk open Assembly

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date 30 Jun 1996 21:57:25

29-June-1996

GA96013

           Messages from Moderator, Stated Clerk open Assembly

ALBUQUERQUE--"We have a lot to do!" stated Marj Carpenter as she gavelled
the 208th General Assembly to order at one minute past three Saturday
afternoon.

    Her official actions at this opening session were largely to introduce
others who would inform, enlighten and orient commissioners for the tasks
ahead of them and take care of a variety of housekeeping chores necessary
to get the Assembly geared for action. When these were accomplished, she
began her final moderator's report to the church, a series of enthusiastic
thank-yous for:

    * "allowing me this wonderful year.....letting me stress
`mission-mission-mission' to take our minds off `sex-sex-sex'.....for
sharing your stories about mission you have done and your dreams about
mission you are planning to do;

    * "for showing me how important youth are, for emphasizing higher
education and campus ministry, for the opportunities to talk to hospital,
military and prison chaplains and assure them that they are not second
class ministers, for allowing me the privilege of holding the moderator's
mission forum;

    * "for the opportunity to speak to generals in Guatemala, to 157 women
seminarians in South Korea, to North Koreans who have gone 40 years without
a church, to Presbyterians in Northern Ireland, the Ivory Coast, Venezuela
and in border projects in Mexico;

    * "for your degrees, your invitations, your flowers, banners, bagpipes,
parades, worship services, meals (even the hundreds of platefuls of
chicken-rice-and carrots), for praying me through all kinds of places in
all kinds of weather."

    In conclusion Moderator Carpenter implored the Assembly participants to
pray for the church. They stood to respond with deafening and sustained
applause expressing the church-wide popularity of their 1996 moderator.

    The opening docket also included a final report to the church by Stated
Clerk James Andrews. The retiring Stated Clerk compared the impact on the
church of overwhelming changes of the past 100 years and the impact of
changes possible and probable in the years ahead. He foresees the continued
failure of centralized authority, increasing need for commitment to
building community, the individualization of religious expression, and
widened participation as essential for any expression of trust in the
church as institution.

    Andrews stressed stronger focus on theology, need for far-longer range
planning, and the development of a new set of concerns.

    Following sustained applause the Assembly approved a commissioner's
motion that both addresses be printed and distributed to the Assembly as
well as included in the minutes.

    The remainder of the business session was devoted to honoring Andrews
as he retired from the office of Stated Clerk and more than 40 years of
serving the church. His family and friends joined him on stage, looked with
him at the picture of one of his retirement gifts, a Hitchcock rocking
chair that will be delivered to him soon, and heard praise and
commendations, serious and humorous, from former colleagues. These included
Vic Jameson, editor emeritus of Presbyterian Survey, Freda Gardiner from
the Synod of the Northeast, and Ben Gutierrez, coordinator for South
America in the Worldwide Ministries Division.

    Among those who assisted Moderator Carpenter as she opened the Assembly
were:

    * Dr. Jack Stotts, president of Austin Theological Seminary, who
offered opening prayer;

    * Stated Clerk Andrews who reported that 506 commissioners from 167
presbyteries in all 16 synods were registered as well as 76 Youth Advisory
Delegates, 23 Theological Seminary Advisory Delegates; seven Overseas
Advisory Delegates and 10 Ecumenical Advisory Delegates;

    * Deborah Davies and Kerry Clements, assistant stated clerks, who told
commissioners where to find what, about message boards and mailboxes,
shuttle-buses and staying healthy.

    Stated Clerk Andrews also led commissioners through practice exercises,
some serious, some humorous, on the electronic voting equipment. These
exercises elicited facts about the age range of commissioners, their means
of travel to the assembly, and their opinions on the identity of John
Calvin.

    Barry Van Deventer, commissioner from Charleston-Atlantic Presbytery
and moderator of Bills and Overtures committee, proposed changes in
referral for several items of business which the Assembly approved.
Approval was also voted allowing heads of other Christian communions to
address the Assembly, limiting of comments during debate to two minutes,
and approving the docket.

Midge Mack

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073