From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hundreds expected to gather a pre-Assembly prayer conference

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date 30 Jun 1996 23:08:24

29-June-1996

GA96003

    Hundreds expected to gather at pre-Assembly prayer conference

ALBUQUERQUE--Anticipating what could be one of the most significant General
Assemblies in the life of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), hundreds are
expected to gather at the Hyatt Regency hotel for  "Open Before God," the
moderator's pre-Assembly conference designed to give Assembly commissioners
and visitors an opportunity to prepare themselves spiritually for their
duties.

    The role of gay and lesbian persons in the denomination returns to the
208th General Assembly (1996). As in years past, the issue is sure to
dominate the June 29-July 6 meeting of the 2.7 million member denomination.

    Even so, the 568 elected commissioners (delegates) to this year's
Assembly face an unusually congested agenda with a large number of
critically important and potentially controversial items. Among these are
new leadership at the top, the Consultation on Church Union (COCU) and
proposals to greatly expand the role and responsibilities of lay ministers
in the church.

    Gathering as a worshiping community in the hotel's third floor grand
ballroom, participants prayed with and for one another as they reflected
upon the life they share in Jesus Christ. Friday's events included a
reaffirmation of the baptismal covenant from 1 to 4:30 p.m. and a
eucharistic service from 7 to 9 p.m.

    "I appreciate the Office of Theology and Worship for putting this
together," Moderator Marj Carpenter told the participants gathered at the
opening hour of the event. "But more than that, I appreciate the people who
care enough to pray for the church, because if there ever was an Assembly
meeting in the need of prayer, this is it.

    "I pray that the Holy Spirit will come and be amongst us and that we
will hear the Holy Spirit," Carpenter said. "I pray that God cares that the
Presbyterian family of the church of Jesus Christ in the world survives.
And I pray that we will be able to continue to do the mission that our
church has been particularly good at."

    Dr. Nora Tubbs Tisdale of Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton,
N.J. offered the message at each worship service. During each service,
participants were led in the practice of praying the scriptures, following
Calvin's description of prayer as an "emotion of the heart within, which is
poured out and laid open before God."

    The Rev. Joseph D. Small, coordinator of the office of Theology and
Worship in the Congregational Ministries Division, said that by praying
together, he hopes that participants will be "shaped by the good news of
God's grace through Jesus Christ."

    The event continues today with "Praying the Scriptures Together" from
8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. and a "Service for Wholeness and Healing" from 10 a.m.
to 12 noon. Transportation will be provided from those hotels not within
walking distance.

Julian Shipp

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073