From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Guatemalan and Middle Eastern partners appeal to Assembly

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date 30 Jun 1996 23:10:33

28-June-1996

GA96002

    Guatemalan and Middle Eastern partners appeal to Assembly

ALBUQUERQUE--Appeals for help from church partners in Guatemala and from
the strife-torn Middle East were referred to the 208th General Assembly in
actions taken Friday by the General Assembly Council.

    The National Evangelical Church of Guatemala (NECG) is again asking the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to condemn ongoing violence there that has
resulted in the kidnaping of the denomination's moderator and the murders
of two Presbyterians.

    The Middle East Council of Churches is asking U.S. Presbyterians for
prayers and support in the midst of a spasmodic -- and fragile -- peace
process that continues to disrupt life in Israel and in Lebanon.

    "This kidnaping has brought another round of harassment in Guatemala
and the church has asked us to support them in this time," Worldwide
Ministries Division Guatemala liaison Julia Ann Moffett told council
members.  "[THE NECG] is adamant in its use of the word 'condemn' ... They
are asking that we use our international channels to send information about
what is happening there and to write more letters [condemning the violence
to U.S. and Guatemalan government officials].

    "They're asking, too, that we have a time for prayer for the Guatemalan
people at the General Assembly," Moffett said, in addition to filing
protests with officials.

    U.S. Presbyterians have answered the NECG's appeals for accompaniers
since the torture and murder of the Rev. Manuel Saquic last June. Saquic
was pushing the government to prosecute a former military commissioner
accused of killing a Presbyterian human rights worker.  Accompaniers have
stayed with Saquic's widow and children and other Presbyterians in Saquic's
presbytery who have received death threats.

    Just last month, the NECG's now former moderator, the Rev. Samuel
Merida, was kidnaped and released unharmed several days later.  He was told
to have approximately $20,000 on his body should he be found again alone --
or to renounce his work with the Presbyterian church.  The NECG made no
comment to press about Merida's kidnappers, but the Ecumenical News Service
International in Geneva reported that disgruntled Presbyterians are among
the suspects.

    The Rev. Herb Valentine, a former PCUSA moderator and Baltimore
Presbytery's executive, represented the denomination in Guatemala earlier
this week when the NECG marked the first anniversary of Saquic's death.

of the Middle East Council of Churches in Cyprus, the council is
recommending that the Assembly adopt the report, "Concerns for the
Arab-Israeli Peace Process."

    Jarjour wrote Stated Clerk James E. Andrews:  "We are afraid and
concerned about justice and peace in the region.  We appeal to your
Assembly to stand with the people of the Middle East and ask for your
prayers and support for the future of the peace process."

    Among its proposals, the report calls for Israel to end "its continued
seizure of land," for Syria to "withdraw its troops from Lebanon" and for
the Palestinian Authority to "exercise its police and security
responsibilities in ways that are consistent with international human
rights standards."  It urges Presbyterians to pray for peace in the Middle
East, to advocate for public policies outlined in the report and directs
the Stated Clerk to communicate this action to both U.S. and international
leaders.

    "Fear and anxiety characterize the prevailing mood in the Middle East,"
Worldwide Ministries Middle East liaison Victor Makari told the General
Assembly News Service.  "In the past few months or weeks alone, there was
the assassination of Israel's late Prime Minister Yizhak Rabin by an
Israeli Jew, the deadly bombing of buses in the streets of Tel Aviv and
Jerusalem by Palestinian extremists, and the subsequent tight closure of
Jerusalem with disastrous results for Palestinians.  There was the heavy
bombardment of Lebanon by Israel, the election of a new government in
Israel which is widely expected to be more hard-line, the destruction of
Palestinian olive groves [near Bethlehem] and the proposed construction of
Israelis-only roads. All [of these acts] present an ominous threat to the
peace process.

    "Our Christian partners," Makari said, "have urged our prayers and the
expression of our support for the sake of a just and enduring peace."

Alexa Smith

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073