From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: [PCUSA News]

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 04 Jul 1996 18:08:35

GA96093

    Noted former educator honored during 208th General Assembly

ALBUQUERQUE - Lillie A. Ross, a former educator revered in national and
local Presbyterian church circles, was twice honored here during the 208th
General Assembly (1996) June 29- July 6.

     Ross, 94, was one of three who received the "Women of Faith Award"
June 29 sponsored by the Women's Ministries unit of the National Ministries
Division. She was also recognized by the National Black Presbyterian Women
during the July 2 meeting of  the National Black Presbyterian Caucus.

    Ross, an African American Baltimore resident, has spent a lifetime
helping people learn to live productively and enjoy life. In permanent
recognition of her Christian fervor and devotion to others, Madison Avenue
Presbyterian Church in Baltimore named its family learning center after
her.

    "It makes me feel very happy that I have inspired people to do things
to lift them up," Ross said. "My hope is that they will make something out
of their lives that is productive to society."

    Ross, who comes from a family of educators and clergymen, believes the
process of building a better world begins with her. She has held that
belief for nearly 90 years.

    "I felt as if God had a plan for my life, and I have tried my best to
follow that plan," she said.

    The yearn to help others led Ross into a 42-year teaching career with
the Baltimore public school system. She taught in the middle grades before
the system organized its junior high schools. She also served on the
executive board of Church Women United of Greater Baltimore for 32 years
and is involved with the Interfaith Institute.

    Even so, there's little chance of  Ross slowing down or considering
retirement, according to Roberta Cottman, a Presbyterian Health, Education
and Welfare Association (PHEWA) member of Baltimore Presbytery

    "In all her adult years, Lillie Ross has never missed a General
Assembly and all but four of those she attended at her own expense,"
Cottman said. "And she has never missed a PHEWA meeting."

Julian Shipp

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073