From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Dedicate Dorm at Africa University

From umethnews-request@ecunet.org
Date 08 Jul 1996 15:19:53

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3049 notes).

Note 3048 modified by UMNS on July 8, 1996 at 16:07 Eastern (3773 characters).

SEARCH: Kleist, United Methodist, housing, residence, Africa
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Linda Green                           334(10-31-71){3048}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470              July 8, 1996

  UMNS stories may be accessed on the Internet World Wide Web at:
                   http://www.umc.org/umns.html

Africa University
dedicates new dorm

                        A UMNS News Feature
                         by Andra Stevens*

     Africa University students were joined on July 3 by local
business people, church officials and five members of the Kleist
family for the dedication of the fifth student residence hall
built with funds donated by the Kleist Family Foundation.
     Peter and Eleanore Kleist of Fort Myers, Fla., chief
executive officers of the Florida and Ohio-based foundation; their
two daughters; and a son-in law were welcomed to the United
Methodist-related campus at Old Mutare, Zimbabwe, by Bishop
Christopher Jokomo of the Zimbabwe Annual Conference and John W.
Z. Kurewa, Africa University's Vice Chancellor.
     Acknowledging the Kleists as friends of Africa University,
Kurewa said " We are delighted that your spirit of giving has
encouraged us not only to dream big but also to give big ... We
gather here to celebrate what one family from the United States
has done for millions of families in Africa."
     The Kleist Foundation made a challenge grant of $500,000 to
Africa University in June 1995. One-half of the grant was used to
build a 40-bed residence hall for women students to help alleviate
a campus housing shortage.
     Africa University currently has space for 150 students. When
the 1996-97 academic year begins in August, more than 300 students
are expected on campus. Even with the addition of the Kleist
residence hall and a second 40-bed facility funded by Jonas and
Odette Kennedy of South Carolina, the University expects a
shortage of more than 60 beds.
     For the first time since the United Methodist-related
institution opened in 1992, students are being encouraged to look
at living off-campus.
     Kleist, a real estate developer and active United Methodist
layman, learned of the University's housing needs during a 1995
visit to the campus and responded by funding the construction and
outfitting a residence hall.
     "People ask us why we do this," Kleist said, "and I can only
say it's because we feel a call to respond to need regardless of
where it exists ... We believe in enabling people to help
themselves, and we hope that this gift helps to improve the
quality of life for students so that they, in turn, can make life
better for others they come in contact with."
     In thanking the Kleists on behalf of the student body, the
Rev. Bridget Elba of Sierra Leone noted their active participation
with Africa University. When Kleist Foundation made its donation
to Africa University in 1995, United Methodists in East Ohio were
challenged in a dollar for dollar match. Within a year the
conference raised $1.2 million for Africa University.
     Elba used Psalms 1:3 to express the school's appreciation.
She told that Kleists that they "'will be like a tree planted by
streams of water, that yields its fruit in its season.' Because of
your selfless sacrifice ... students from different parts of
Africa will be blessed by its use. You have planted a seed of love
and I promise that we will endeavor to nurture it with more love
so that it will yield a thousand fold."
                              #  #  #

     * Stevens is director of the office of information at Africa
University.