From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Carpenter uplifts family values

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jul 1996 19:51:08

01-July-1996

GA96031

                         Carpenter uplifts family values

    Former Moderator Marj Carpenter told Presbyterian Mariners Monday that
family values need to become a higher priority.

    Carpenter spoke at a sold-out breakfast sponsored by Mariners, a
10,000-member family ministry organization of the denomination that is
organized in local congregations. "We've got to get back to family values,"
she said. She engaged the audience with her storytelling, including a
recounting of her growing up years, when missing church or Sunday school
just didn't happen.

    Her father told his children that missing either would mean "going to
hell." "If you missed the car, (he didn't wait very long) you walked the
two miles. But you went," she said.

    Carpenter said she shared a concern facing Mariners -- a budget cut in
the Congregational Ministries Division that will eliminate the family and
single adult ministry staff position at year's end.

    "I'm distressed as you are over anything that closes family values,"
Carpenter said. Carpenter said she had attended only two other Mariner
gatherings. One of those came this past year as she traveled as moderator.
It was a reunion at First Presbyterian Church in Miami, Fla.

    "I realized for the first time how close your organization is. People
had come back from all over the United States. It was like family.

    "I remember that night, I wasn't feeling real good (the only time she
had a cold during her year) and I was sitting over in the corner watching.
I was just fascinated. It was like a family reunion--couples that had been
together when they were young had brought back their children because their
children had played together. And I realized for the first time what your
organization is about. I urge you to keep it going and keep trying to
spread it."

Nancy D. Borst

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073