From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Solemn stoles - upbeat gathering

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jul 1996 19:51:08

30-June-1996

GA96017

                     Solemn stoles - upbeat gathering

ALBUQUERQUE--The PLGC Celebration of Reconciliation overflowed the Ulam
ballroom of the Doubletree Hotel where three sides of the room displayed a
"Shower of Stoles." Over 350 stoles have been given by ministers, elders,
relatives, friends and churches on behalf of gays and lesbians, many of
whom can not reveal their true identity, or who have been forced from the
path of ministry and service at every stage by the position of the church
on their sexuality.

    The mood was upbeat because of the large turnout and the positive
feeling about the election of Moderator John Buchanan. Inclusive Church
awards were presented to: Elder James D. Anderson for his tireless efforts
in the publication of the More Light Update; and, Deb Price, syndicated
columnist, for her excellent writing that has led to better understanding
of gay and lesbian concerns.

    Moderatorial candidate, Norm Pott, who attended, received a standing
ovation when he said to the large crowd: "I would rather have the love and
respect of the people in this room than to be moderator of the Presbyterian
Church."

    Martha Juillerat introduced the Shower of Stoles by relating the
response to a pamphlet requesting stoles at last year's General Assembly.
Eighty stoles came in six weeks, 200 in one year, and more than 350 were
received by the time of General Assembly. At the conclusion of the
gathering, a request was made for 200 volunteers to wear the stoles to
worship and around the General Assembly as a witness.

    A sampling of the messages of the stoles included the following:

    "John - an ardent Presbyterian `son of the manse.' He might have become
a minister, but the non-acceptance of his sexuality by family and
Presbyterian Church has directed him into another profession and another
denomination."

    Another read: "From an anonymous gay pastor in the hope that the church
will affirm my identity in the same way they have affirmed my ministry."

    And from a lesbian: "You know me. I am your daughter, your pastor. You
nurtured me, encouraged me, ordained me. For over 20 years I have served at
every governing body level." And it continued: "Yet I cannot tell you my
name. For me the risk is still too great. I work and pray for the day when
I am free to say who I truly am."

Bob Bolt

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073