From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commissioners' resolutions favor support for burned black churches

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jul 1996 19:51:08

01-July-1996

GA96030

Commissioners' resolutions favor support for burned black churches

ALBUQUERQUE--Indicative of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s ongoing
support for burned black churches, the Assembly committee on Bills and
Overtures approved the referral of eight commissioners' resolutions June 30
to the committee on National and Urban Issues.

    Resolutions 96-5, 96-9, 96-15, 96-18, 96-20, 96-24, 96-38 and 96-39,
address the burning of black churches and call for specific action by
denomination agencies and affiliated organizations.

    For example, resolution 96-24 calls for the creation of a fund to
reward anyone who provides information that leads to the conviction of
hate crime perpetrators. Additionally, resolution 96-39 calls for the
investigation of  a leading church insurer's future coverage of burned
churches.

     Preferred Risk Insurance Company, which is the denomination's church
insurer, has dropped coverage for two black Tennessee churches destroyed by
arson saying the policies have become too expensive.

    Claims for damage to the two Tennessee churches have been paid, but the
plans will not be renewed, according to Tom Farr, general counsel of
Preferred Risk Insurance.

    "We have done what we promised to do," Farr of Des Moines, Iowa said.
"We are paying claims and a decision is made at the expiration (of the
coverage period) whether to continue the relationship. That is done by
every insurance company all the time."

    Fires have been reported in at least 40 predominantly black churches
across the Southeast over the past 18 months. Federal authorities have been
investigating suspicious fires at a roughly equal number of white churches
during the same period. Meanwhile, the Senate has unanimously approved
legislation to stiffen penalties for arson at places of worship and
expanded federal authority to investigate.

    The Rev. Barry Van Deventer, Bills and Overtures committee moderator of
Charleston-Atlantic Presbytery, described the resolutions as "a wonderful
awakening to a latent and very real problem concentrated in the South, but
occurring throughout the entire country."

    "It's a wake-up call for us," Van Deventer said. "And we had the kind
of response that you would expect. We, I think, are showing that
Presbyterians really care and we'll participate not just in giving
money...but in taking some action with our brothers and sisters whose
houses of worship are being taken away from them by a force of violence."

    However, Van Deventer said, he was anything but surprised to learn that
only one committee-approved resolution, 96-6, deals with the ordination of
gay and lesbian persons. It has been referred to the committee on
Ordination and Human Sexuality.

    "I was relieved," Van Deventer said. "[The ordination] issues is before
us already. I think everything on ordination's been covered already that
can be considered and any commissioner's resolution would probably have
been redundant."

Julian Shipp

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073