From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

More Light churches receive Witherspoon Society award

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jul 1996 19:51:09

30-June-1996

GA96020

    More Light churches receive Witherspoon Society award

ALBUQUERQUE--The 73 Presbyterian congregations that have declared
themselves "More Light" (willing to ordain gay and lesbian members to
church office) were given the Witherspoon Society's Congregation Award at
the society's annual luncheon here June 30.

    About 75 members and pastors of More Light churches came forward to
receive the award.  The Rev. Byron Shafer presented the award on behalf of
the society to Virginia West Davidson, a member of Downtown United
Presbyterian Church in Rochester, N.Y.  "The More Light churches are
demonstrating the advent of a new heaven and a new earth -- one of full
inclusion and participation for all Presbyterians," Shafer said.

    Davidson said "the heart of the [More Light] movement is hospitality --
loving each other as we love ourselves."  She said that "as love grows,
mistrust and fear melt away."

    The society gave its Andrew Murray Award to the Rev. Bruce Rolstad, a
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) minster from nearby Santa Fe.  For
more than 33 years, Rolstad has been active in economic and social
community development, rural health and housing development and various
social welfare ministries.

    He thanked the Presbyterian Church for its support through the
Presbyterian Hunger Program, Native American education grants and the
Self-Development of People program.  He also thanked First Presbyterian
Church of Santa Fe and its former pastor, executive director the Rev. James
D. Brown, for its support.  "And I am a dues-paying member of the
Witherspoon Society," Rolstad told the crowd of several hundred, "which is
the next best thing to being Presbyterian."

    Keynote speaker the Rev. Jack Stotts, soon to retire president of
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, said the real issues of the
current debate over ordination of gay and lesbian persons are the church's
theology of order and its theology of human sexuality.

    "It is a theological issue to discover how God is ordering the world
toward the fulfillment of God's purpose," Stotts said.  "And Christian
discipleship then becomes ordering what we have been given in light of
God's ordering of creation."  Stotts said that order is "a community of
inclusive friendship."

    Human sexuality is part of that ordering process.  "The issue is not
ordination," he insisted.  "The issue is how we order our lives as human
sexual selves."  Stotts said the Presbyterian Church has "not yet done
sufficient theological homework" to produce an adequate theology of human
sexuality.

    He said that theological work needs to be done in congregations and
presbyteries -- "in contexts where people know each other as friends,
because ordination cannot be done by strangers."

    Friends, Stotts said, "are nurturers, not adversaries.  Friends treat
each other decently."

    But now and then, he continued, "theological vigilantes arrive --
crusaders for their own absolute truth."  Citing "The Presbyterian Layman"
as an example, Stotts said, "These vigilantes seem to have forgotten that
Christians are friends.  They loot the time and attention of church
leaders, with the result that they scandalize the gospel of Jesus Christ."

    Stotts said he had just one question for "The Presbyterian Layman" --
the same question asked of Sen. McCarthy during the witchhunts of the 1950s
-- "Have you no decency?"

    Decency and order -- hallmarks of Presbyterianism -- "offer hope for
the future," Stotts said.  "Hope," he concluded, "is a stern taskmaster
because it requires us to stay together as friends even when we are most
tempted to separate."

Jerry Van Marter

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073