From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator sets aside personal preferences to moderate

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jul 1996 19:53:00

01-July-1996

GA96026

    Moderator sets aside personal preferences to moderate

    At the news conference following the election of Moderator John M.
Buchanan, a reporter asked him what he thought the best outcome of this
General Assembly would be regarding the ordination of self-affirmed,
practicing homosexual persons.

    He said, "I was concerned throughout the run up time that the
moderatorial election not be a referendum on that issue.  It seems to me
that the Assembly needs a moderator who can moderate this meeting and then
interpret it.  I stated my personal preference, that congregations and
presbyteries be allowed to make those decisions, but I think the time for
me to be marketing that idea is now over, and that the time to moderate and
enable and empower this Assembly to do what God is calling it to do is upon
us.  So, I don't want to say much more about it than that."

Bill Lancaster

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073