From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adair, Rogers challenge crowd to transform church, society

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jul 1996 19:55:08

01-July-1996

GA96029

    Adair, Rogers challenge crowd to transform church, society

ALBUQUERQUE--A sell out crowd of 250 heard former moderators Dr. Thelma
C.D. Adair and Isabel Rogers challenge them to be a part of the
transformation of society and the church.  Adair and Rogers spoke at the
"Voices of Sophia" breakfast Monday morning.

    Claiming that she had been to "more General Assemblies than most of you
have lived life," Dr. Adair spoke of the "good news" that women have been a
part of transforming society.  She noted that in the last three years,
there has been more change than in all of recorded history.  Women "have
already reached a critical mass," she said.  "Keep in mind that the
transformation has started; the revolution is there."

    Adair noted that health and the world of work are changing because of
the impact of women.  She cited statistics indicating that while 46,000
women die each year from breast cancer, more than 500,000 die of heart
attacks and strokes.  "When women more than 50 went to their doctors with
chest pain, they were told to take antacids and go home to die," she
lamented. Women must "value our own temples," she said.

    More than 53 per cent of the work force already is women, Adair
continued.  Women "have changed already the managerial style," she noted.
Women are beginning to demand "the friendly workplace."  Adair further
noted that "families are back in style.  Not the Dick and Jane families of
yesteryear" but a movement back toward the "idealized family, that of
collaboration," such as used to exist on the farm.  Adair noted that 18 per
cent of white children and 33 per cent of Black children were being raised
by grandparents.

    It is important, Adair said, to "change from creating pictures of
pessimism to creating knowledge that will give us the opportunity to seek
and to implement change."  That is the job of "every single individual
here," she said.  She told of attending her daughter's graduation from
Harvard this June, where her daughter received a Ph.D, making her a third
generation doctor.  One of the honorees was Osceola McCarthy, the
86-year-old Mississippi housekeeper who gave all her life's savings to the
University of Mississippi so that "her people might be all they want to
be."  As they draped the hood over Miss McCarthy's shoulders, Adair
recalled, 20,000 people stood and applauded for five minutes.  As the
applause died down, the noon bells began ringing.  "I was reminded of the
legend that the bells in a certain French cathedral rang only when one
dared to give a great gift.  May your gifts of yourselves . . . be like the
gift of Osceola McCarthy."

    Rogers affirmed that "in the past 20 years we have certainly seen a
revolution in opportunities for women and in the way women look at
ourselves.  The church has not exactly been in the vanguard."  She cited as
gains that women have moved into positions of leadership in the church, and
that inclusive language "is the order of the day in our official
documents."  But the "church has resisted all of our attempts to broaden
the images used in worship," she noted.

    "We are here because we believe the church has not taken with full
seriousness the revolution that is taking place all around us, and in fact
has condemned us" for seeking it, Rogers asserted.  Women should take the
position "of Her Majesty's loyal opposition," she said.  Women should adopt
Miriam Therese Winters' position of "defecting in place," she said.  Such
women are those who "remain loyal and active in the church, who find in
their heads and hearts that they have moved way beyond where the church is,
and seek an alternative group" for nurture.

    "We have got to give ourselves to the discipline of study and careful
thinking," Rogers challenged her listeners.  Women must "wrestle with
theological tradition and its critics, and ask how it relates to our
lives."  "We have got to seek out those women who want to be faithful but
feel lonely and draw them into groups and try new things."

    "I believe the Voices of Sophia ought to be not just individuals but a
network of little groups all around the church who gather together to
encourage one another and share the faith,"Rogers said.  Citing Isaiah
42--"Remember not the things of old . . . Behold, I am doing a new thing.
Now it springs forth; do you not perceive it?"--she challenged the audience
to "be attentive to what God is doing and join in on God's work."

    Adair was moderator of the 1976 General Assembly of the former United
Presbyterian Church in the United States of America.  Rogers was moderator
of the 1987 General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

    Voices of Sophia is a community of women and men within the
Presbyterian Church that seeks to be "a forthright voice for women in the
church."  It was formed in the spring of 1995.  Its goal is to help
transform the church "into a discipleship community of equals."  Its
purpose is "calling the church to responsible theology, reclaiming the
fullness of God's image, embracing the diversity of the world, and
welcoming the voices of women as we enter the 21st century."

Peggy Rounseville

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073