From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Worshipers are encouraged to evaluate themselves spiritually

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jul 1996 21:37:21

01-July-1996

GA96033

 Worshipers are encouraged to evaluate themselves spiritually at Assembly

ALBUQUERQUE--Those attending daily worship July 1 were treated to a medley
of soul-stirring hymns and were encouraged to evaluate themselves
spiritually during the 208th General Assembly.

    Fiona Squares, song leader and cantor during worship, is from the
Community of Iona, Scotland, a Christian community devoted to living the
gospel. Squires, a member of the Iona worship group, was joined by harpist
Donese Mayfield, organist/harpist for Shepherd of the Valley Presbyterian
Church in Albuquerque.

    They were joined by musicians Marshall and Melissa Henrie, also of
Albuquerque. Melissa is a Cibola High School student and her father,
Marshall, is employed by Honeywell. Liturgist during the service was elder
Elsie Ortega Miranda, a 75-year-old retired nurse who has been a member of
El Buen Pastor Presbyterian Church in Chimayo, N.M. since 1937.

    The Rev. Frank Harrington, senior pastor of Peachtree Presbyterian
Church in Atlanta, spoke on the topic "Have You Had Your Annual Spiritual?"
Harrington, a candidate for moderator of the 204th General Assembly (1992),
took his text from Luke 11:37-54 in which Jesus criticized the Pharisees,
the spiritual and religious leaders of that time, for their hypocritical
treatment of others and for their shallow spirituality.

    "It seems to me that one of the functions of the General Assembly is
for us to have an annual spiritual," Harrington said. "A chance for us to
evaluate our spiritual health and take whatever steps are needed for us to
continue our well-being."

    Harrington said the church should be careful in the way that it treats
people since this is a very important aspect of its witness to the world.
He said the denomination must also endeavor to "never become a burden to
the people," it is committed to serve.

    He encouraged his audience to take the Bible both "literally and
seriously" and called upon Presbyterians to "love one another" in the body
of Jesus Christ.

    "I want this church and this Assembly...to realize who we are,"
Harrington said. "We are the children of God and we need to go forth and
claim our [spiritual] inheritance."

Julian Shipp

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073