From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Meza offers "Cross or Crossfire"

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 03 Jul 1996 20:30:59

03-July-1996

GA96048

Meza offers "Cross or Crossfire"

ALBUQUERQUE--In a sermon he said would surprise those who know him, the
Rev. Herb Meza offered "Cross or Crossfire" in morning worship on Tuesday,
July 2, calling the Assembly away from its problem fixation to a return to
"devotion to Christ; the rest will take care of itself."

    The sermon began with as assessment that the three year period of
dialogue and study has not worked: "we are wrong when we believe we can fix
things."  He then turned to the story of extravagance from Mark 14, the
pouring out of a tribute to Jesus worth a year's wages, and Jesus'
surprising approval of that gift. Despite the fact that it might have been
used to care for "the poor," Jesus received it gladly. Meza tied current
concern with issues, problems, needs, to the story:  "Besieged as we are,
we must find our way back to our worship.  The central issue for our
churches is whether we can confess Jesus Christ as Lord."

    The preacher consoled the congregation by promising them a continued
enmeshment in issues and concerns by quoting Hugh Walpole from a recent
novel:  "You are worth it; you are too valuable to be left in peace."

    Meza, retired minister from Jacksonville, Florida, who has been a
candidate for moderator of the General Assembly, was formerly pastor of
Church of the Pilgrims in Washington, D.C.

    Worship began with a lively warmup that could have been called "Scott
Joplin meets John Calvin," as pianist Matalie Wham kept the grand piano
keys jumping, and the congregants as well, with ragtime hymns.  Mark
Wallace, song leader, taught a vibrant Gospel song, "Lord, I thank you,
thank you, thank you!" that had staid worshipers clapping and moving, and
led in a canon-style contemporary Christian hymn, "I Will Call Upon the
Lord."

    Liturgist was the Rev. Kay Huggins, pastor of Rio Rancho Presbyterian
Church in Albuquerque.  The choir closed with an anthem echoing the
preacher's words, turning thoughts away from human priorities to those of
God:  "Teach me, O Lord, teach me your way."

Houston Hodges

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073