From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Andrews pushes for deeper ecumenical understanding

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 03 Jul 1996 23:42:44

03-July-1996

GA96052

    Andrews pushes for deeper ecumenical understanding

ALBUQUERQUE--It's going to take renewed theological work and more dialogue
on seminary campuses if ecumenical life is going to really make the unity
of the church visible, according to outgoing Stated Clerk the Rev. James E.
Andrews as he reminisced about 40 years of ministry that has been immersed
in the ecumenical world.

    Andrews addressed the ecumenical breakfast Tuesday.

    "One of our mistakes has been a failure to nurture and nourish
[seminary] channels of ecumenical training," Andrews said, remembering that
the ecumenical tradition was passed onto him in seminary simply in casual
conversations with those who were involved in the movement.

      "We need to get other people involved at that level," he said, adding
that ecumenical courses are often few in the "crowded curriculum."

    Andrews lamented that ecumenical understanding is often reduced to mere
cooperation between churches -- omitting the theological base that would
allow recognition of members and ministers and eucharistic fellowship.

    To reach that "visible unity," he said in response to questions from
the floor, he's comfortable backing use of the term "bishop" so that the
Consultation on Church Union (COCU) may proceed.

    Andrews speculated that the term would be less controversial if
Presbyterians understood ordination as a single act that is changed only
with installation.  In that case, elders would not be ordained again as
pastors, deacons or, Andrews said, "bishops" -- just installed.

    The deepest obstacle to gathering the church together "into one,"
Andrews said, is establishing eucharistic fellowship.  "We do not fully
commune at each others' tables," he said, adding that he is not hopeful
this problem will be resolved soon.  "It has taken us 2,000 years to mess
it up this badly.

    "It may take us the same time to reverse it," Andrews said.  "We'll
have to correct the divisions one-by-one."

 Alexa Smith

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073