From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Embattled PHEWA celebrates its 40th anniversary

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 03 Jul 1996 23:48:51

03-July-1996

GA96055

    Embattled PHEWA celebrates its 40th anniversary

ALBUQUERQUE--A fiery speech by former General Assembly moderator Robert W.
Bohl electrified a crowd of more than 500 gathered in Kiva Auditorium here
July 1 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Presbyterian Health,
Education and Welfare Association (PHEWA).

    "If you didn't exist, we'd have to create you," Bohl told the group,
most of whom were members of one of PHEWA's constituent social welfare
ministry networks.  "Thank God you exist."

    Bohl arrived admittedly angry.  "I was scolded for coming here tonight
by people who are so far right of God that they shouldn't even be in the
Presbyterian Church," he said.  Then he encouraged the crowd with words
from Jesus: "Beware when all people speak well of you."

    "PHEWA, you are a success," Bohl continued.  "Thank you for what you
have done in a variety of ways for a variety of people.  We say that we
care about our urban areas, but only PHEWA shows any sensitivity to them
 ... with integrity and commitment to our Lord."

    Bohl raised the grass roots, foundational work of PHEWA.  "Only when
root causes are addressed and when good people begin to do something will
the devastation of our urban areas cease," he said.  "And always it's the
church that is there first ... because the church realizes that life is a
gift."

    Citing some of the ministries of First Presbyterian Church in Fort
Worth, Texas, where he is pastor, Bohl urged the group to continue its
ministries -- even in the face of overwhelming odds.  "I love it when they
say that --  it can't be done," he said.

    He issued a ringing call for groups like PHEWA to continue to call for
justice.  "If the church doesn't raise its prophetic voice, you can bet
your last penny no one else will," he thundered.  "Raise that voice, even
if you feel like just a remnant -- after all, the people of God have always
been a remnant."

    Bohl's words of encouragement echoed General Assembly moderator John
Buchanan.  Buchanan greeted the crowd, "I encourage you to keep strong and
brave and courageous...and obnoxious if you need to be."

    The group also honored its executive director, the Rev. Mark Wendorf,
who has resigned to accept a call as professor of urban ministry at
McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago.  Wendorf said, "No other job
offer could have taken me away from PHEWA, but this is the job of my
dreams."

    He said, "No ministry of the church is more important, no ministry is
more loving because of the care you demonstrate day after day for those who
most need it."  Wendorf refused to say good bye.  "I have always been a
member of PHEWA.  I will always be a member of PHEWA.  And I will see you
at future [PHEWA] biennials."

Jerry Van Marter

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073