From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Committee sending "fidelity, chastity" amendment to GA

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 03 Jul 1996 23:51:15

03-July-1996

GA96080

    Committee sending "fidelity, chastity" amendment to GA

ALBUQUERQUE - The Ordination and Human Sexuality committee will ask the
General Assembly to send a Book of Order amendment to the presbyteries that
would require fidelity or chastity of all church officers

    The wording of the amendment is similar to that in overture 96-16 from
Seattle Presbytery and says: "Those who are called to office in the church
are to lead a life in obedience to Scripture and in conformity to the
historic confessional standards of the church.  Among these standards is
the requirement to live either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage
of one man and one woman (W-4.9001), or chastity in singleness.  Persons
refusing to repent of any self-acknowledged practice which the Confessions
call sin shall not be ordained and/or installed as deacons, elders, or
ministers of the Word and Sacrament."

    The vote to approve the proposed amendment was 26 for, 17 against.  A
motion which in essence would have sent out option #3 of the Advisory
Committee on the Constitution (ACC) report, except with the above wording
substituted in the appropriate place, failed by a vote of 18 for, 31
against.

    The failed amendment would have sent with the "fidelity and chastity"
amendment the  ACC "local option" amendment (ACC option #2) with
instructions for presbyteries "to vote in the affirmative for only one, or
in the negative for one or both."  The full Assembly is scheduled to
consider the committee's recommendations on Friday.

    The decisions came after a full day Monday when the committee listened
to dozens of people in open hearings and a number of overture advocates.
The committee spent Monday evening asking questions and thinking through
their process.  Then on Tuesday, committee moderator the Rev. Roberta
Hestenes, president of Eastern College in St. Davids, Pa.,  led the
committee in an extremely thorough and careful process which brought them
to a series of substantive motions Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

    One and possibly two minority reports will come to the Assembly from
members of the committee.  The tone of the committee process was civil
throughout, though strong convictions were expressed on both sides.

    Debate on the fidelity and chastity amendment covered a wide range.
The Rev. Jon Faraone of East Tennessee Presbytery said that his sister and
he grew up in an abusive situation, and that his sister was gay.  "I love
my sister and I accept her for who she is.  For as long as I live, she will
never doubt my love for her.  But I cannot compromise the word of God as I
understand it.  You see, I too am the product of abuse, and it was the good
news of God's word that brought healing in my life...."

    The Rev. Jane Larsen-Wigger of Winnebago Presbytery said, "If this is
passed, we are treating a lot of real people as a category.  We do not do
that with any other group.  That is not a loving, Christian, reconciling
way to treat one another."

    Elder Samuel Spring of Lake Michigan Presbytery said, "The motion
reflects my understanding of Scripture and the confessions.  It does not
treat homosexuals differently from any other persons to be considered for
office.  It treats heterosexual and homosexual alike."

    The Rev. Phyllis M. Kort of Salem Presbytery quoted another source and
said, "`Evil is not just what people do, but what people suffer.'  It is
premature to decide this until we understand if homosexual people are this
by choice.  A human cannot live without sexuality. Heterosexuals do not
fully understand homosexuals.  This just doesn't sound like something Jesus
would do.  I beg you to vote this down."

Bill Lancaster

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073