From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Stotts retired -- Bullock confirmed

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 Jul 1996 11:06:47

04-July-1996

GA96095

                  Stotts retired -- Bullock confirmed

ALBUQUERQUE - The Assembly today recognized the retirement of one seminary
president and welcomed the new dean of another.  Dr. Jack Stotts retired as
president of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Austin, Texas, July
1.  Dr. Jeffrey Francis Bullock was confirmed yesterday as dean of the
seminary and vice-president of the University of Dubuque, Dubuque, Iowa.

    Stotts spent 21 years as a seminary president.  He served as president
of McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago, Ill., from 1975 to 1985.  He
then went to Austin, where he served from 1985 to 1996.  He received the
B.D. from McCormick and the Ph.D. from Yale.

    Archie Stevenson paid tribute to Stotts, calling him an "outstanding
preacher, wise leader, inspiring teacher." Stevenson is vice-moderator of
the Assembly's Committee on Christian Education and Theological
Institutions.   Possibly Stotts' "greatest contribution" to the
Presbyterian Church, Stevenson said, was serving as chair of the committee
which drafted "A Brief Statement of Faith." The "Brief Statement" is the
Presbyterians' most recent confession, adopted in 1988.

    The Assembly responded by giving Stotts a standing ovation.

    In his remarks, Stotts called his service to the seminaries a
"privileged time."  He said it was a privilege "to have been called to
assist in the preparation of men and women for the ministry of Jesus
Christ."  He said students "refreshed my hope and nourished my spirit."

    Stotts also said it was a privilege "to serve a church that worships
Jesus Christ with the mind."  This commitment, he continued, "calls for
rigorous scholarship."  The denomination and its theological schools, he
went on, "are always partners in discerning what God calls us to be and
do."

    Stotts said he welcomed the opportunity to say "thank you to the
denomination. . ., which is finally the last thing any of us have to say
when we come to the end or near the end of our ministry and our life.
Thanks be to God who gets us from the beginning to the end."

    Bullock, in brief remarks to the Assembly, commented that he had been a
pastor for 14 years before going to Dubuque.  "It is my love for pastoral
ministry that has led me to an institution that is committed to preparing
women and men for pastoral ministry, often in numerically smaller
churches," he said.  He pledged to honor "the ordination vows taken 11
years ago" in his new call.

    Bullock most recently served as pastor of Queen Anne Presbyterian
Church, Seattle, Wa.  He received an M.Div. from Pittsburgh Theological
Seminary, and an M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Washington.

    Stevenson also introduced the presidents of the other theological
institutions.  In doing so, he introduced Dr. Cynthia Campbell, president
of McCormick, as president of Pittsburgh.  As commissioners laughed,
Moderator John Buchanan asked, "Is that a motion?"  Dr. Carnegie Samuel
Calian, president of Pittsburgh, joined in the general laughter.

Peggy Rounseville

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073